Do you want to switch to a more natural skin care routine? I totally hear you! Many popular beauty and skin care products are laden with chemicals, toxins, and potentially harmful ingredients.
Essential oils are great for the skin and body. Once you own a bottle of oil, there are so many ways that you can use it.
Here are 22 ideas and tips to make your skin care routine more natural and less toxic. Some are DIY recipes, homemade with essential oils. Others are ready-made natural products from reputable essential oil companies such as Rocky Mountain Oils’ line of Tohi skin care.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Wouldn’t it be so refreshing and liberating to use a natural, chemical-free kind of skin care routine, day in and day out?
I’ll show you how!
Why Natural Ingredients Matter
When it comes to taking care of yourself, you want to make sure that what you eat and drink doesn’t harm you in any way. But do you think about the things you put on your body — for example, the lotions that make up someone’s beauty routine?
We’re learning more and more that beauty products often contain ingredients that are scary and damaging.
Manufacturers can do that because they aren’t regulated in the same ways that many other products are. The labels and words they use to describe themselves may not have regulations either — or they may not mean what you think they mean.
For example, what do you think “chemical free” means? Actually, it doesn’t mean anything because nothing is chemical free, which is why the term is banned — in Europe, not the U.S. What else do you need to know? This graphic explains it:
22 Natural Beauty Ideas
Make-up & Lips
- To naturally remove eye make-up, foundation, blush, or anything else, simply use Fractionated Coconut Oil. That’s it – you really don’t need anything more. Dab it onto your hands or a cotton round, and remove make-up as usual.
- To exfoliate your lips, create a super quick sugar scrub. Mix 1 tsp white sugar with 1 tsp carrier oil (such as jojoba, Fractionated coconut, sweet almond, or even olive oil or grape seed oil that you may have handy in your kitchen). Exfoliate gently – the skin on your lips is thin and fragile.
- For a natural lip balm, try this Imitation Burt’s Bees Lip Balm Recipe from WellnessMama.com.
- Green tea is one of the most powerful anti-aging home remedies we have access to. Apply 2 bags of green tea to your eyes (1 on each eye), for about five minutes at night.
- Make this super simple 2-ingredient DIY Puffy Eye Serum to fight under-eye bags.
- Make your own natural face soap by following this easy facial cleanser recipe from the Essential Family.
- Use the Tohi natural face cleanser from Rocky Mountain Oils. It’s refreshing citrus aroma leaves behind a clean, smooth face.
- Simply use Frankincense hydrosol as a face tonic. Spray directly onto the palm of you hands, then apply to the face. Use twice daily, morning and night, just as you would with your current product.
- Use Rocky Mountain Oils’ Sacred Skin Facial Moisturizer. It is one of my all-time favorite natural products. It gets used twice daily – every day! Frankincense is a skin care powerhouse essential oil, boasting moisturizing and balancing effects on the skin. Blended in with this luxurious face cream formula, it makes for a skin care routine to look forward to every morning and night!
- Make this DIY foaming hand soap with a Young Living “Thieves” blend alternative oil blend for best germ fighting power all year long.
- If you prefer chemical-free soap bars, make soap lotion bars using essential oils.
- For dry nails and cracked cuticles, blend 1/2 tsp of Fractionated Coconut Oil with 2 drops of Tea Tree oil. Massage into your fingertips immediately. You can blend the potion right in the palm of your hand.
Deodorant & Body Odor
- Use a natural deodorant such as Lavender or WildFlower Sensitive from WildRoot.
- For a deodorant suitable for performance needs, try the WildFlower Performance Formula.
- If you suffer from sweaty feet, make a quick blend of sweat-preventing essential oils. Apply daily.
- This DIY Lemon Sugar Scrub is heavenly for peeling, exfoliating and refreshing your skin.
- Make DIY whipped body butter. You can make it with different essential oil blends, such as oils for stretch marks or a combination including oils for wrinkled skin. Overall though, the cocoa butter base does a beautiful job at naturally moisturizing the skin, and keeping any chemicals away.
- For a ready-made natural body butter, try this age-defying body creme from Plant Therapy.
- For dry skin, mix up your own Dry Skin Oil with this recipe here.
- Use this Tohi Aloe Vera Shampoo and Conditioner duo made with natural plant-based ingredients and infused with 100% pure essential oils and Aloe Vera.
- You may also opt to use a natural, unscented shampoo base and add your own essential oils for stunning hair.
- Make a DIY Lavender hair mask to rejuvenate dry and damaged hair.
I lavish in my bathroom time; I really love it. Applying body butter, using facial tonic, lathering on moisturizer,… you name it, I probably have a product for it!
I know it’s hard to try something new. And you may be skeptical about the effectiveness of natural skin care products or DIY recipes.
I’d like to encourage you to stop putting so many chemicals on your body and opt for natural skin care solutions instead. Even if you just switch up one thing for now.
Once you do switch, you’ll love the results! Please let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
I wish you all the best in your new-found natural body care routine. Enjoy your naturally nourished skin!