Nails are essential parts of the body, safeguarding the tips of our fingers.
Brittle nails are quite common. Even just regular daily life can cause weakness of the nails or irritate the nail beds. Exposure to chemicals such as dishwashing without gloves, or using nail polish removers, can make things worse. This can lead to several health problems but most of all, unsightly nail conditions ¹.
Your nails can become better, healthier, and stronger with essential oils. Not only that, the oils are also effective in treating peeling and cracking cuticles.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
What do Unhealthy Nails look like?
Symptoms of unhealthy nails are:
- Nail pitting
- Upward curved nails
- Weak or brittle nails
- Downward curved nails
- Yellow nails
- Dark spots on the nails (Melanoma)
Top 10 Essential Oils for Nail Care
The best oils for nails include:
To maintain healthy nails, the natural recipe is simple: rub 1-2 drops of essential oils into your cuticles and nails along with a moisturizing cream or carrier oil. The recipes below will get you started.
Quick Tips on How to Keep Your Nails Healthy Using Essential Oil Recipes
Don’t use essential oils directly on your skin as this may cause irritations. In aromatherapy, mixing essential oils with a carrier oil is called “diluting“. Dilute with any carrier oil of your choice. Examples of carrier oils include almond oil, jojoba oil, and apricot kernel oil. Others are grapeseed oil, evening primrose, and avocado oil.
For best results, soak your nails in water for twenty minutes before applying a DIY lotion. Soaking nails before applying oils makes the whole home remedy more effective ³.
Once you have your recipe made, apply the blend of carrier oil plus essential oils onto your nails. Massage thoroughly onto the nail beds. This process nourishes and strengthens nails, and promotes nail growth. It is most effective when done in the evening and left overnight.
Healthy Nails DIY Roller Bottle Recipe
- 10 ml glass roller bottle
- Fill 95% with Fractionated coconut oil
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
- 6 drops of lemon essential oil
- 10 drops of myrrh essential oil
Put all the ingredients into the glass roller bottle. Shake well before application. Apply once or twice daily onto your nails and nail beds.
DIY Cosmetic Brush Pen with Essential Oils
This recipe is for healing dry cuticles and maintaining strong nails uses a refillable cosmetic brush pen 4. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Funnel and a small bowl
- Refillable cosmetic brush pen
- 25 drops of vitamin E oil
- 5 drops of myrrh essential oil
- ¼ cup of grapeseed oil
- 10 drops of carrot seed essential oil
- 8 drops of lemon essential oil
- 10 drops of cypress essential oil
Add all ingredients in a small bowl. Stir very well to blend. Pour the mixture into a refillable cosmetic pen using a funnel. After this, apply oil onto your nails and cuticles. Soothe your nail beds and make your nails strong by applying 2-3 times daily.
Strong Nails Oil
- 1 ounce dropper bottle
- 1 ounce of rosehip oil
- 6 drops of myrrh essential oil
- 6 drops of lavender essential oil
- 10 drops of vitamin E oil
Fill the one-ounce dropper bottle with 1 oz rosehip oil. Add the essential oils, and finish off with 10 drops of vitamin E oil. Cover the lid and shake the bottle to mix the liquid. Apply this mixture directly on your nails to treat cuticles and strengthen nails. Store in a cool and dark place. Apply daily for a good result.
Other Home Remedies to Make Nails Strong
Broken nails are concerning. You can maintain strong nails by using other home remedies ², such as:
- Apple cider vinegar with water: soak your nails in a blend of apple cider vinegar with water daily. Your nails will benefit from ACV’s nourishing elements including calcium, iron, and vitamins.
- Lukewarm coconut oil: massage lukewarm coconut oil onto your nails and nail beds. This will make them strong and healthy.
- A blend of warm olive oil and lemon juice: dab a cotton ball into the mixture and apply onto your nails. Allow it to stay overnight.
- Warm carrier oil blend: Warm up almond oil, olive oil, and jojoba oil. Use cotton balls and apply the mixture onto your nails. Allow it to stay on you for ten minutes. Wash off the mixture for a radiant and strong nail.
- Egg yolk and milk: Moisturize your nails by quickly whipping up an egg yolk and milk paste. Apply to nails and cuticles and let soak in for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Castor oil: Treat fungal infections and make your nails strong using castor oil.
- Flaxseed: Use flaxseed oil containing omega 3, magnesium, vitamin B, and potassium. Massage onto your nails and allow it to stay overnight for stronger nails.
- Mix vitamin E oil and tea tree oil together. Rub onto your nails and cuticles. Rinse it off after thirty minutes and moisturize your skin.
You can improve the health of your nails using essential oils. It’s not complicated, and it’s not expensive. If you have oils in your house already, give these recipes a go. Ensure constant application of your oily home remedy for two or three weeks and you should see great results!
- Top 10 Best Essential Oils for Nail Strengthening: https://wellnessappliances.com/top-10-best-essential-oils-nail-strengthening/
- 10 Homemade Remedies to make Your Brittle Nails Strong: https://fustany.com/en/beauty/nails/10-homemade-remedies-to-make-your-brittle-nails-strong
- Can Essential Oils Promote Stronger Nails? https://www.leaf.tv/5864098/can-essential-oils-promote-stronger-nails/
- The Best Essential Oils for Nails + A DIY Roll-On Cuticle Oil Blend: https://helloglow.co/best-essential-oils-for-nails/