Essential oils have recently skyrocketed in popularity due to their medicinal qualities and natural elements. Yet, if you’re new to essential oils and aren’t sure exactly how they work, you might need a quick 101 on how to use an essential oil diffuser. Keep reading for all you need to know on this tool and how to use it properly in your home, office, or on the go.
What is an essential oil diffuser?
Essential oils are a natural way that you can experience aromatherapy. The diffuser helps you in this process. Essential oil diffusers allow you to distribute the fragrance of the essential oil throughout a room.
There are four different types of oil diffusers, the ultrasonic essential oil diffuser being the most popular choice. It utilizes cold water mist to scent the air. Nebulizing diffusers don’t use any water and diffuse pure essential oils. Choosing the diffuser type that’s right for you is essential (pun intended!) to maximizing your health benefits and getting the most out of your aromatherapy oils.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
If you’d like to dig deep into the selection of your perfect essential oil diffusers as well as the different diffuser brands available, read Understanding Essential Oil Diffusers for the inside scoop.
How to find the best essential oil diffuser for you
There’s no way around it – essential oils can be overwhelming. There are a lot of different oils themselves, as well as a lot of different diffusers. So, how will you choose the best one for you and keep it affordable? It comes down to what you prefer – the type, how much noise it makes, and how much you’re willing to spend. But never fear! You can find a great essential oil diffuser for under $40.
Where to put your essential oil diffuser
Now that you have the 101 on what oil diffusers are and the different types out there, where exactly is the best place to put an essential oil diffuser? The placement of your diffuser is no insignificant choice. The selection of this spot should ultimately maximize the aroma, and it should also be in a place that you are personally happy with it.
Does it go nicely with your other décor? Are you able to leave it there without moving it constantly? There are a few hacks that can help you decide where in your home is best:
- Choose a spot that you frequent. A bedroom, a kitchen or a living room may all be great spots. To maximize the aroma, you should always be near it in order to enjoy it.
- Think about how your diffuser diffuses. This may sound obvious but if you have an Ultrasonic diffuser, the aroma of the oils will rise on their own. This means that you should always place it on a low coffee table rather than a high shelf so that you can enjoy the aroma. Additionally, if your diffuser circulates in a particular pattern that is something to keep in mind as well. Some diffusers will do so in a radial diameter, which means being in the center of the room is preferred over being around the parameter.
- Don’t go for a window sill. You might see a sunny window sill and think, “Hey! That’s a great spot.” But keeping your essential oil diffuser out of direct sunlight will actually improve its longevity. The sunlight and warmth create a breeding ground for bacteria, which isn’t anything you want to deal with. For any container of water, go for a cool place without much sunlight. You’ll be much better off.
- Don’t be afraid to turn it off. This tip is less related to where you put your diffuser and more related to what’s around where you put it. Your diffuser is putting a scent into the air, and a lot of people forget how potent that scent can get. Don’t make the mistake of leaving it on all day – you don’t need to! Use it for 30 to 60 minutes and then give it a break. If you really love having it on, make sure you turn it off for as long as you had it on. You don’t want the scent to become overpowering to the point where you feel like you can’t breathe anymore. This process will help you strike a balance!
How many drops of essential oils to use in a diffuser
Essential oils are highly concentrated, which means that diluting them is crucial to proper use. While these oils are good for your health and wellness in many ways, they can also act as an irritant if used incorrectly. Using a diffuser, which dilutes essential oils with water, is one way to ensure that you’ll have the proper ratio.
First, look for your diffuser’s size. Is it 100 ml, 200 ml, 300 ml (and so forth)? The amount of water that you’re putting your diffuser will ultimately determine the number of drops of essential oils. Don’t worry about not have enough essential oils because of their concentrated strength. Even a small amount of essential oils can release significant fragrance.
- The rule of thumb is to add 3-5 drops per 100 ml of water in the diffuser, yet it can vary depending on the age of individuals in your home.
Opting for the number of drops will depend on your personal preference, age, and the size of the room. A larger room will need slightly more oil to have the same aroma benefits than a small room. That said, be wary that you can use too many drops of essential oils because it will mess up the dilution of them. In fact, that’s one of the top mistakes of using essential oils. Nausea, headache, vomiting, and vertigo are signs and symptoms of having used too much. If you begin to experience these, perhaps cut back on how many drops you’re using in your diffuser.
For young children, in particular, diluting oils is critical. It is always necessary. Erring on the side of caution can be beneficial for anyone unsure of how they might react. There’s a variety of mixing agents and different ways that you can use the oils to benefit your health and wellness. For more information, read our Beginners Guide to Essential Oil Dilution Rates. This will help you know what’s safe for all in your household.
How to clean your essential oils diffuser
Like just about everything else, your essential oils diffuser will need to be cleaned for maintenance purposes. If ever it isn’t functioning correctly, this should be your first step because it can work wonders! A good cleaning can turn a seemingly broken diffuser into a brand new one. Here are some easy steps that you can use to help spruce up your diffuser whenever it needs it.
To maintain your diffuser, you may have to clean it more often than you would think. Essential oils can be corrosive and ensuring that you have a quick cleaning routine is vital for proper care and prolonged use.
- See also: How to Clean Your Essential Oil Diffuser.
Essential oils are an awesome way to promote your own health and wellness every single day. An essential oil diffuser, when selected, placed, and cleaned properly, allows you to get all the benefits while also taking care of a potent substance. Once you have your own diffuser, you’ll be able to take your favorite oils and use them every single day.