Summer is here! You are soaking in the deserved Vitamin C, but all the lazy hours in the sun and dives into chlorine saturated waters are leaving your hair dry and damaged. If you don’t want to spend the money on a visit to the salon for a hair treatment, spend a week night with this all-natural DIY essential oils hair mask. In only 30 minutes, you can have shiny, moisturized, healthy, Instagram ready hair!
Why Hair Masks?
Just like your skin, nails and cuticles, your hair needs maintenance. Excessive hair styling, poor grooming habits, or using chemically laden shampoos and conditioners diminishes your hair’s health.
Hair masks are a natural way of nourishing, protecting, and moisturizing your hair. Think of it as a vitamin boost, bringing nutrients back to your roots to prevent breakage, frizz and tangling. If used regularly, you will see the difference in hair growth, adding shine and softness.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Even if you believe your hair is comparatively healthy, the changing seasons can be difficult on your hair follicles. If you get in the habit of using a hair mask, you’ll make sure that you’re giving your hair the moisture it needs. Especially if you see that your hair is beginning to thin, or your hair looks and feels dry, incorporate a hair mask in your hair routine today!
DIY Summer Hair Mask with Lavender Essential Oil Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons Coconut oil (for curly hair, Olive Oil, is lighter and won’t bring down curls)
- 2 egg whites
- 5 – 10 drops Lavender essential oil
Why these Ingredients?
Coconut oil is a multi-usage natural product. Coconut oil is high in fatty acids, drenching your hair and scalp with moisture. Other carrier oils, like jojoba and olive oil, also have similar benefits.
Combining your oils with egg whites will give your hair another boost. Egg Whites are high in proteins to strengthen hair and help prevent and repair split ends. The egg will also help bind all the other ingredients, allowing for an even easier application.
Finally, Lavender essential oil does not only provide a relaxing aromatherapy scent, Lavender is also used for hair growth!
Using all natural ingredients is a safe and effective way to care for your hair and body’s health. Plus it’s better the earth and our environment compared to chemically created products.
DIY Hair Mask Instructions
While you are meal prepping for your week, also prep for your hair care! If you have long hair / want extras, double the recipe and you can leave it in your fridge in a glass jar for up to 1 week.
- All you need is a blender, or a bowl and whisk.
- Combine Coconut oils and egg whites and blend.
- Add Essential Oils last and blend again until it is a smooth texture.
- Dampen your hair, spread evenly throughout, especially the ends.
- Cover with a shower cap or towel.
- Leave in for 30 minutes and wash out with a natural shampoo and conditioner
- For the best results, use once a week.
Make sure you rinse your hair well after you use this DIY hair mask, especially you have oily or greasy hair. You can let your hair air dry or using heat products like a curler or straightener, the hair mask provided also acts as a natural heat protection! Your hair should feel silky, softer, smelling lightly of Lavender. If you don’t love the smell of Lavender, you can combine other Essential Oils, like Lemon or Geranium, for a summery scent.
- Everyone’s hair is different, so don’t be afraid to test and try different ingredients. A few hair mask favorite ingredients are: Avocados, since they are full of Vitamin B & E to protect hair; or honey, which is antibacterial and seals in all the moisture of your carrier oil!
- Rosemary Essential Oil is another oil that can be used to help hair growth, scalp irritation and dryness.
- Of course, use precaution with everything we place on our bodies, always avoid contact with your eyes and if any irritation, stop usage.
From time to time, our hair wants a decent all-natural hair treatment to eliminate pollutants and wind effects from our locks. Try this quick and easy essential oils hair mask to give your mane an extra beauty treatment. Enjoy!