Stretch marks are thin lines on the body that appear after the skin has undergone significant changes in size. Many have experienced the issue of stretch marks whether due to pregnancy, weight gain or loss, or genetic factors.
To help reduce the appearance of stretch marks naturally, use essential oil treatments at home. Essential oils are a natural therapy for minimizing stretch marks.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Although stretch marks are not painful on the skin, it is not uncommon for stretch mark stripes to inflict an individual with emotional pain, insecurities or feelings of embarrassment.
Are you wondering which oils help with stretch marks? In this article, we’ll show you which oils help with stretch marks, and how to use them to treat your stretch marks naturally. You’ll find single oils, oil blends, and DIY recipes for stretch marks.
- What Are Stretch Marks?
- How Essential Oils Aid In Eliminating Stretch Marks
- Top 5 Essential Oils for Stretch Marks
- Best Carrier Oils for Stretch Marks
- Essential Oil Recipes to Help Reduce Stretch Marks
- Final Thoughts
What Are Stretch Marks?
Stretch marks are thin, long lines that usually appear on the thighs, buttocks, abdomen, and breasts of the skin. They are purple and red in color, and later turn silvery-white.
Stretch marks are damaged areas of your skin. They occur in the dermis of your skin because of strains due to overstretching. Women are more prone to have stretch marks due to pregnancy than men do. For most women, changes in body weight or during pregnancy can cause stretch marks on the body. However, thin persons can also suffer from stretch marks due to genetic factors, puberty, or other changes in hormones ¹.
How Essential Oils Aid In Eliminating Stretch Marks
Essential oils are helpful in reducing the appearance of stretch marks. They contain properties capable of hydrating wounded and inflamed skin cells. By applying them, you can improve your skin’s flexibility, elasticity, and slow down the effects of aging on your body.
Top 5 Essential Oils for Stretch Marks
Treat your stretch marks at home with the following essential oils:
- Lavender: Lavender essential oil is a common ingredient you can find in every cream and oil made for the removal of stretch marks. It is produced through the process of steam distillation and capable of toning and rejuvenating your skin. You will also enjoy its calming essences and refreshing aroma.
- Patchouli: Patchouli essential oil helps to moisturize aging skin and can promote the growth of skin cells and regeneration of tissues. Handle your stretch marks by adding Patchouli to your skin care routine.
- Helichrysum: Helichrysum essential oil is made from the leaves of an evergreen plant with a fruity fragrance. Treat your stretch marks and restore damaged skin with this oil that can even improve the circulation of blood in your body. It has analgesic, anti-inflammatory, diuretic, antispasmodic, and astringent properties that can handle ugly skin conditions.
- Sage: Sage essential oil is safe to use topically. It contains anti-inflammatory, astringent, analgesic, antispasmodic, and diuretic properties. This emphasizes that sage oil enhances blood flow in the body ².
- Neroli: Neroli essential oil not only features an exceptional aroma, it offers regenerative and restorative essences. It is produced from the flowers, buds, and leaves of orange trees. Massaging Neroli oil onto your skin helps to treat any visible line and further appearance of stretch marks on your body. Moreover, it helps to control sagging skin.
NOTE: You’ll notice that I’ve recommended the Edens Garden brand of essential oils in this list. EG is one of my favorite essential oil companies! You can find more information about their oils’ quality, customer service and company practices in my Edens Garden brand review here.
Best Carrier Oils for Stretch Marks
Carrier oils are fatty base oils to use with the topical application of essential oils.
Combining essential oils with carrier oils like primrose, apricot, carrot, almond, and jojoba oils is ideal to give skin the best care and prevent adverse reactions on your skin. A most basic recipe with essential oils for stretch marks is to use 1 teaspoon (= 5 ml) of carrier oil in the palm of your hand, add 3 drops of essential oils of choice, and apply immediately.
Castor oil and Rosehip oil are the best carrier oils to aid stretch mark scarred skin. Here’s why:
Castor oil is one of the most effective organic products for the removal of stretch marks, acne, sagging skin, wrinkles, and even fine lines. It is a very heavy, greasy carrier oil so do not be alarmed by its consistency when it comes out of the bottle. However, this exact fattiness gives castor oil its superb skin care qualities for stretch mark damaged skin.
New to the NOW brand of essential oils and accessories? Find a full NOW brand review here.
Rosehip essential oil is rich in fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants. It is extracted from the seeds of a thorny rose. This aromatic oil is gentle and calm on the skin as it contains Retin A, which is a type of vitamin A used for making anti-aging products.
You can apply Rosehip oil directly onto your skin as much as needed to treat your stretch marks and prevent aging unnecessarily.
Rosehip carrier oil blends nicely with Helichrysum and Neroli. For a Rosehip based stretch mark lotion, blend 3 tablespoons of Rosehip carrier oil with 5 drops of Helichrysum and 4 drops of Neroli. Apply 2-3 x daily on areas affected.
New to Plant Therapy? Find my Plant Therapy Essential Oils Review here.
Essential Oil Recipes to Help Reduce Stretch Marks
The following recipes will assist the removal of stretch mark lines from your skin quickly:
Stretch Mark Blend
- In a 15 ml amber glass bottle, blend 2 tablespoon of Fractionated Coconut oil (FCO) with 1 tablespoon of castor oil.
- Add three drops each of lavender, frankincense, and sandalwood essential oils. Stir well.
- For best results, apply twice per day on those streaks on your body, regularly for two weeks.
- Allow fifteen minutes for it to be completely absorbed into the body. Do not shower immediately.
This homemade recipe contains natural substances with stimulating powers and regenerative essences to handle your stretch marks effectively. If you like the blend, continue mixing up your master blend to get rid of the stretch marks on your skin.
If you prefer a ready-made blend for you, Edens Garden’s Skin Love is specifically formulated to boost cell regeneration, prevent scarring and level out stretch marks. You can get it here.
Whipped Coconut Oil Butter for Stretch Marks
In this recipe, you select the essential oils of your choice. You can use grapefruit, lavender, and frankincense with coconut oil (NOT fractionated coconut oil) as the base of your product. Get coconut oil, all the essential oils, and a mixer. Put the coconut oil in the mixer and beat for five minutes to prepare the base of your cream using a fork, hand mixer, or a stand mixer.
However, if you are blending large quantities, it is advisable to use a fork in mixing the cream. You will get a creamy substance in the form of yogurt if allowed to mix properly for five minutes. This becomes the base where you will add other essential oils of choice to fade out your stretch marks. Another product you can use as a base is beeswax or Shea butter instead of coconut oil.
Finally, storing this product in a glass jar is recommended. Do not use plastic containers.
Lemon Lavender Stretch Mark Oil
Add 2 oz of coconut oil, 1/2 oz of beeswax, 1 oz of evening primrose, and 1 oz cocoa butter into a bowl. Melt these substances over a double boiler on medium-low heat and while constantly stirring.
If you notice that the mixture has become soft and silky, take it off the heat immediately. Then, add 7 drops of lavender essential oil and 6 drops of lemon essential oil, and stir until it becomes fluffy.
Store the product in an airtight container. Apply the cream on your stretch marks consistently until you start seeing results.
Stretch Mark Bath
Mix 3-5 drops of Sage Essential Oil into a tablespoon of Epsom salts and combine into a warm bath. Sage oil has regenerative properties that protect your skin from further damages and stripes. It is advisable to apply the oil cautiously to avoid the occurrence of acne and other debilitating skin conditions.
Most persons feel uncomfortable with lines of stretch marks on their bodies and desire for their skin to return to its original firm shape and form. Pregnant women are the most affected due to overstretching of the muscles and gestational weight gain that pushes the skin to new lengths.