Homemade essential oil DIY sugar scrubs are among the most favorite beauty DIY recipes. It’s no wonder! Using a homemade body scrub feels wonderful and has many advantages for your skin and wellness.
Using lemon essential oil in your sugar scrub not only lets you enjoy a beautifully natural scent; it’s also an uplifting, purifying and cleansing oil that adds aromatherapy health benefits to your skin care routine.
Creating your very own all-natural DIY sugar scrub recipe is easy and inexpensive, I bet you’re going to be hooked (I am)!
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Why DIY Sugar Scrubs?
- Sugar scrubs are excellent for exfoliating the human body and face.
- You can create your own sugar scrub with essential oils for a portion of the price of commercial products.
- DIY helps you control the quality standard of ingredients used.
- The recipe only requires a few minutes to whip up.
- It’s super simple to make homemade sugar scrubs!
Lemon Sugar Scrub Recipe
Sugar scrubs are a fantastic way to exfoliate and aid dry skin. I’m going to show you how make an easy sugar scrub in about 5 minutes, with essential oils and a few ingredients you have in your pantry. It’s the perfect DIY project for essential oil beginners!
Sugar Scrub Ingredients:
- 15-20 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
- 1 cup of white or brown granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of Jojoba carrier oil (or olive oil or grape seed oil or any other cooking oil you have on hand)
- 1 small mason jar or other container
How To Make It:
- Mix all of the above ingredients in your container.
- Use a wooden spoon or stainless steel cutlery to mix (avoid plastic utensils).
- Aim for a grainy, crumble-like texture.
- The next time you shower, use about 1-2 tablespoons of the sugar scrub to rub all over, for silky smooth skin.
- It’s simplest to use your sugar scrub in the shower, so that you can easily rinse it off when you are finished.
- Rinse well.
NOTE: Since this DIY body scrub does not include preservatives, it’s best used within 1 to 2 months.
Sugar Scrub Recipe Variations
- Vanilla Brown Sugar Scrub: 1 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup jojoba oil, 10 drops vitamin E oil and 7-8 drops of vanilla essential oil.
- Gentle Oatmeal Facial Scrub: 1/2 cup rolled oats (ground up in coffee grinder or blender), 1 tbsp sea salt, 1 tbsp sugar, 7-10 drops lavender, chamomile or helichrysum essential oil.
- Himalayan Salt Scrub: (Only use if you don’t have sensitive skin!) 1 cup Himalayan Salt finely ground, 1 /2 cup sweet almond oil, 10-15 drops grapefruit essential oil.
- Lemon Honey Sugar Scrub: Same recipe as the main recipe above but only use 1/4 cup Jojoba oil and add in 1/4 cup organic honey.
- Sleep Tight Lavender Sugar Scrub: If you like to shower at night, make a relaxing and calming Lavender scrub. Same ingredients as in the main recipe, but substitute Lavender essential oil instead of Lemon.
- Coffee Body Scrub: Great for toning your body and tightening skin all over, especially legs, thighs and torso. Combine 1/2 cup finely ground coffee, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup Jojoba oil and 7-8 drops of coffee essential oil for that extra punch.
- Green Tea Sugar Scrub: Add extra antioxidants to your skin care body scrub and make it a green tea scrub! Recipe here from Living Chic on the Cheap.
DIY Sugar Scrub Gifts
If you’re thinking to make sugar scrub for gifts, I’ll show you how to easily upgrade your basic mason jar with simple craft supplies you probably already have at home. With a couple of simple hacks, you can delight in giving these beautiful DIY sugar scrubs as a gift any time of the year.
- Trace the mason jar lid on a piece of fun card stock paper.
- Cut out with scissors.
- Lightly glue onto the mason jar lid.
- Once mason jar is closed, add yarn string and leave the ends long along one side.
- Add gift tags or stickers (optional, see links below)
How to Dress Up your DIY Gift
While stunning gift wrapping isn’t everyone’s strong suit, it can become part of the gift and I think there’s nothing wrong in dressing up your DIY gift a bit.
If you make sure the gift wrapping matches your sugar scrub theme, you have a winner! Take a look at these Gift Tag Supplies to add that special touch!
I hope you’ve enjoyed this introduction to DIY essential oil sugar scrubs. It’s truly a super quick and easy recipe, yet it’s guaranteed to impress! If you take the time to dress up your mason jar, these beauties make great gifts for any occasion.