Winter is just around the corner and I wanted to give all of us the opportunity to properly prepare ourselves – and our skin – for this upcoming dry spell.
As the days get shorter and temperatures lower, there is continuously less moisture in the air. This is because cooler air holds less moisture than warm air. So in the winter, the cold air that seeps into our homes from the outside has a lower humidity – meaning that it carries very little moisture. When we crank up the heat inside our houses, this adds warmth but it doesn’t increase the amount of moisture in the air.
Aromatherapy can help here in a variety of ways. Here’s how…
Use Your Diffuser More Frequently During Winter Months
First of all, I recommend that you use your essential oil diffuser more regularly during winter months. Most models are cool mist essential oil diffusers, meaning they will stream a vapor of water mist into the air, and thus also acting as a humidifier. This will add more of that moisture content back into the air inside your home that is naturally drier during cold temperatures.
Pair increased diffuser time with using some of the best essential oils for dry skin (blends or single oils), and you have a great recipe for better skin health during dry months. Here is your list of best essential oils for dry skin:
Make Use of the Best Essential Oils for Dry Skin
If you’ve been wondering, what are the best essential oils to use for dry skin – I am here to help. The following curated list of essential oils is what I will fall back to, when winter hits and my skin starts cracking, looking grey and tired, and I know I’ll feel like I want a boost. I also use this blend during summer months when my skin is dried up and itchy from excessive sun exposure. I don’t use it directly after sunbathing (there’s a more cooling after sun skin care spray that I use – recipe here), but dry skin really is a year-round phenomenon so here are the best essential oils for dry skin and what they’ll do:
- Frankincense (Boswellia serrata): Frankincense essential oil is an excellent essential oil for dry skin as it includes anti-aging benefits. Most skin looks older when it is dry, and drier when it is old. So- add Frankincense oil (or Frankincense hydrosol) to your facial toner and reap the benefits.
- Sandalwood: Sandalwood essential oil should be your go-to oil for any skin-related treatment! If I could choose just one oil out of this list for best skin care benefits, it would be Sandalwood. It is anti-aging, skin-softening, complexion-clearing, itch-relieving miracle worker. Seriously.
- Carrot Seed: Carrot Seed essential oil is one of the best oils to promote beautiful skin. It aids in skin cell regeneration, which comes in handy for healing dry, cracked, chapped or environmentally stressed, or aging skin of all types.
- Geranium: Geranium essential oil balances our hormones, working towards a clearer complexion and more even skin tone. It improves circulation and minimizes inflammation all at the same time – a great recipe to reduce wrinkles. Geranium also smells nice and flowery so adding two drops to your facial lotion should be a super easy routine to maintain!
- German chamomile: German chamomile is also known as blue chamomile as it has a high content of azulene, giving it its blue color. It is extremely calming to the skin, and works wonders for dry skin conditions. Dry conditions irritate our skin, and German Chamomile will penetrate deeply into the layers of your skin and soothe it on all levels. It is especially useful if you happen to have sensitive skin, as it is extremely gentle at the same time.
- Helichrysum: Helichrysum essential oil is the perfect addition to your skin care routine. It is often compared to chamomile because of its similar properties of being gentle, and good for sensitive skin. It is effective against bacteria that can cause skin irritations such as rashes. Add Helichrysum to your skin care regime if you want to prevent or fight redness, rashes, blemishes or shaving irritation.
- Lavender: Lavender essential oil has been utilized over the ages and has survived the test of time. It is believed to be among the safest to use, and among its many benefits also come benefits for your skin. Lavender is especially good for skin conditions related to inflammation, such as acne, eczema, burns, scrapes and insect bites.Use lavender in any skin application that needs soothing.
- Palmarosa: Palmarosa essential oil can help balance the creation of oil in the epidermis; it is helpful to heal cuts and bruises; and it can decrease the seriousness of acne breakouts. Because of the way it can foster the regeneration of cells and balance production of sebum, this important oil is ideal for a wide selection of skin troubles. Palmarosa essential oil is often utilized to take care of disorders of the skin like eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, and other issues associated with the skin including acne or abscesses.
Essential Oils Blend for Dry Skin
As I am studying aromatherapy, part of my course is doing case studies, where I help friends, family and acquaintances with their individual problems. Look for the “case studies” box across my articles.
Case Study: In this particular case study, my mother-in-law was telling me about her very itchy, super dry and flaky skin on her legs. She is a smoker and spends a lot of time in the sun, golfing during summer months. She had to work very hard every day to not scratch her legs until they bled. My aromatherapy blend for her was a combination of carrier oil blending, plus using some of the oils I’ve mentioned above to create a pleasing ointment for her. She immediately loved the scent, said it was uplifting and almost peppermint-y. I agreed, it turned out to be a very uplifting smelling blend, mostly thanks to the Geranium I believe. They were visiting us for a few days and first used it at night time. The next morning, she came to me and surprisingly said: “Holy cow! My legs are already way less flaky!” She thankfully took the bottle home. 🙂
What I believe works especially well in this blend is the Hazelnut oil (carrier oil) added to the base, because it is just L O A D E D with essential fatty acids and skin-nourishing vitamins that boost collagen production.
True to my mentality of using multiple popular essential oil brands, I have used the following products:
Base (carrier oil) blend:
- 15 ml Hazelnut Oil (Organic) from Mountain Rose Herbs
- 15 ml Sweet Almond Oil from Mountain Rose Hebs
- 1 oz (30 ml) Amber Glass Bottle (like these ones here)
Essential oils (add to base):
- 9 drops Frankincense Serrata (Organic) from Rocky Mountain Oils
- 8 drops Geranium from Lisse Essentials
- 7 drops Palmarosa from Eden’s Garden
- 8 drops Lavender from Nature’s Fusions
Use Essential Oil Inspired Body Oils
Essential oil body oils can be used as natural moisturizers, for massage, in the bath to nourish the skin, and more. Eden’s Garden has recently launched a fantastic line-up of body oils that all have a base of beautiful mix of carrier oils, vitamin E, and then essential oils of choice to make the different fragrances. Below is an overview of the body oils, including the list of essential oils that were used for the detail-loving aromatherapists among us.
These body oils come in handy sampler sizes of 1 oz each – or once you’ve decided which one is your favorite – you can also order them in 4 oz bottles with a handy pump included. I started with the 5 body oils sampler kit and then decided on my favorites to re-order in the big size. I use them on the most dry spots of my skin: elbows, knees, and as a hand lotion actually. Don’t judge, but I love these elegant and luxurious body oils.
Fresh and complex, Earth & Wood body oil absorbs deeply and will leave your skin glowing. Its ingredients have a range of astringent and anti-inflammatory properties that dynamically nourish your all-over complexion. Essential oils included are: Cedarwood (Cedrus deodara), Patchouli, Cedarwood (Juniperus mexicana), Vetiver, Vanilla, Damiana
Perfect for pouring into a warm bath, Good Night body oil can help relax your body and quiet your mind. Its silky texture can also be applied at night to help ease tension and restore the skin while you sleep. Essential oils included are: Lavender, Sweet Marjoram, Chamomile, Bergamot, Ylang Ylang, Sandalwood, Key Lime, Lime, Vanilla
A lightweight moisturizer, Lavender body oil helps soften and deeply hydrates your skin. With an incredibly sought-after aroma, Lavender body oil is the go-to for massage, body and bath treatments. It can help clear away stress and sweep away worry. Essential oils included are: Lavender
Soften and soothe your skin without a greasy residue by using Lavender Magnolia body oil. Its luxurious aroma has refreshing floral notes. Rich with fatty acids and vitamin A, C, and E, Lavender Magnolia body oil can help minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Essential oils included are: Lavender, Magnolia, Bergamot, Lemon, Vanilla
Invigorate your skin with Lemon Ginger body oil. It has a citrusy and grounding aroma that can help banish worries. Formulated to relieve dry skin without clogging your pores, Lemon Ginger body oil helps replenish your skin’s natural moisture. Essential oils included are: Bergamot, Ginger, Lemon.
The silky formula of Rose Bergamot body oil can help calm and protect the skin as it captivates your senses. Its natural ingredients deeply hydrate dry skin and help combat premature skin maturity. Essential oils included are: Bergamot, Rose, Patchouli
Possessing a sweet and floral aroma, Shine body oil is packed with skin-nourishing nutrients. It can help support the natural repair process of skin cells while it nourishes. As it gently absorbs into your skin, it can help stimulate and empower your mind. Essential oils included are: Lavandin, Lavender, Sandalwood, Tangerine, Melissa, Ylang Ylang, Elemi, Osmanthus, Lemon Myrtle
An undeniably decadent oil, Vanilla Sandalwood body oil has a velvety texture that absorbs effortlessly into your skin. High in omega-6s and omega-9, it’ll make your skin feel baby soft while slightly cooling your body. Vanilla Sandalwood body oil has a warm and creamy aroma with notes of the divine. Essential oils included are: Sandalwood, Vanilla, Magnolia, Sandalwood Hawaiian
Super-hydrating and utterly stunning, XOXO body oil is brimming with all-natural firming and smoothing nutrients. Its essential oils work together to polish the outer layers of your skin while adding an elegant aroma. Essential oils included are: Cardamom, Cinnamon Bark, Ginger, Clove Bud, Sandalwood, Jasmine, Vanilla, Damiana.
Using essential oil body oils, your skin is going to be moisturized and soft throughout the entire day! These are a serious treat and I am glad I have them on my shelves.
During cold winter months, our skin needs a little extra help staying moist and nurtured. If you start using these simple home remedies with essential oils, too, I am certain you will be astounded at the many ways these oils can help you with your overall well-being.
Knowing all of these wonderful properties of the best essential oils for dry skin, it is easy to get started with incorporating them into your routine.
Because there is a selection of oils available for achieving the same or similar effects, another great thing is that you can also let your nose play a role in the decision making here. Some people prefer scents that others strongly dislike, and vice versa. If you’re looking to improve your skin care, and fight dry skin over winter (or summer!), I would suggest that you build your own kit of essential oils from Eden’s Garden, select the 8 described above (plus 4 others as you get 12 in a set), and then try them all.
For tips on how to apply essential oils, here’s how to get started with using essential oils.
What Do You Think?
What is your secret essential oil recipe to help with dry skin? Let us know in the comments below!