Nobody likes to wake up and feel bloated. It can literally make or break your day. And, you’ll likely want a home remedy FAST so you can get on with your day.
If you have essential oils in your home apothecary, use them to help get rid of gas and bloating naturally.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
As a first point of aid, treat your bloated belly with a digestive massage using essential oils. And then, work on the other issues that may have caused your bloating in the first place.
Causes for Bloating
A bloated belly can result from constipation, excess gas, or poor diet. Other causes include menstruation, hormonal changes, dehydration or other underlying digestive disorders. Stress interferes with your bodily functions leading to cramps, diarrhea, and constipation.
Our autonomic nervous system regulates our bodily functions and is intimately connected with our digestive system. It is this nervous system that enhances and maintains digestive processes in your gastrointestinal tract. It activates your second brain known as the intrinsic nervous system. Serotonin and other neurotransmitters are released by your enteric nervous system. These hormones help to digest food in your intestines.
In short: when the emotions are upset, it affects the digestive processes in our bowels.
Stressful conditions slow down our digestive processes. During this period, the patient experiences inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract. This could lead to constipation especially if the stress is prolonged.
Apoor diet can also cause constipation. Examples of poor nutritional habits include:
- Consumption of meals with low fiber content.
- Ingestion of milk or cheese in a large quantity.
- Carbonated beverages.
- Eating big meals.
Best Essential Oils for Bloating
Treating a bloated belly with digestive substances, enzymes, and probiotics would be ideal. But this method does not yield immediate results.
Essential oils are more readily available and also effective for issues of bloating.
Here is a list of oils for bloating that can give you quick relief:
- Cardamom: You can treat a bloated belly with cardamom essential oil. Especially if it is caused by a bacterial infection. The reason is that this oil contains anti-bacterial properties. It can protect the digestive system and enhance good health.
- Peppermint Essential Oil: People with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can overcome their problems of constipation. Treatment is possible using peppermint essential oil. This aromatherapy oil contains antispasmodic properties. Hence, it is capable of soothing the digestive tract and relaxing your digestive muscles.
- Fennel Essential Oil: Treating constipation can be quite successful using fennel essential oil. It functions as a laxative and stimulates digestive processes. If bowel movement issues are at the root cause of your bloating, being able to have a release will calm the belly muscles.
- Lemon Essential Oil: Reduce inflammation and improve digestion in your stomach by using lemon essential oil. It contains antioxidants that enhance proper digestion and reduce constipation.
- Ginger Essential Oil: Ginger essential oil enhances gastric motility and stimulates digestive processes in the stomach. It is effective in handling constipation and reducing nausea.
- Rosemary Essential Oil: Stimulate digestion in your stomach by applying rosemary essential oil. This medication contains spasmolytic properties that can relieve muscle spasms. It can also soothe your intestinal walls.
Belly Soothing Blends
I know that it isn’t always desirable to blend your own essential oils oils into a master-anti-bloating-recipe. The following ready-made blends all include one or more of the recommended oils for bloating, plus are easily available from the best, most reputable essential oil companies today.
The Digest Support blend from REVIVE includes Peppermint, Ginger, Tarragon, Fennel, Caraway, Coriander, and Star Anise essential oils. It is a proprietary blend of REVIVE essential oils and sells for $14. It is also available as an easy to use roller bottle here, which costs a little less. Roll-ons are pre-diluted with Fractionated Coconut Oil. This blend is not safe for children, and shouldn’t be used if you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care for another health condition.
The Digest blend from Simply Earth helps to eliminate gas and bloating. It is made with the essential oils of Aniseed, Bergamot, German Chamomile, and Sweet Orange. At time of writing, the price was $14.95 for this 10 ml bottle. It is not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women, and it’s safe for children age 10+. The roll-on version is available here.
Tummy Aid assists the body’s natural digestion process. It is made of only two oils: dill weed and fennel. At $8.95, it is the cheapest of the three blends presented here. It also comes in a roll-on version here.
How to Get Rid of Bloating With a Digestive Essential Oils Massage
A digestive massage is an easy way to help ease the immediate discomfort of your bloated belly. It allows you to apply essential oils topically, so their essences can get absorbed into your system via the skin.
- Get 2 tsp carrier oil (such as Fractionated Coconut Oil or almond oil).
- Add 15 drops of essential oils (choose from the anti-bloating favorites above). This is a 5% dilution rate. If you are elderly or have special health considerations, use a lower dilution rate, such as between 1-3%.
- Blend the essential oils with your chosen carrier oil in a small glass container for immediate use.
- Apply the blend on your belly in a clock-wise circular motion.
- Continue massaging the mixture onto your abdomen for 3-5 minutes.
- While massaging, relax your breath and do big inhale-exhale’s.
- Repeat this process 1-2 times every day to help relieve symptoms of a bloated belly.
The benefits of doing a digestive massage include:
- Natural Cleansing: Stimulating the colon facilitated natural cleansing. A massage gently encourages the digestive tract to move stagnant waste products out of the body.
- Promotes Digestion: A properly functioning digestive system enhances the absorption of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients from foods.
- Detoxifying: Regularly emptying your bowels reduces the risks of health problems caused by accumulations of toxins in the body.
Repeat the massage process until bloating and constipation disappear.
Bloating is one of those things that you can easily address with simple home remedies. If you’re currently looking to get rid of your bloated belly, take the time for a little aromatherapy. I hope you feel better soon!