The fourth chakra is the Heart Chakra, and there are some popular essential oils for your heart chakra that I want to introduce you to.
The Sanskrit word for this chakra is Anahata, meaning unhurt, unstuck, unbeaten. The heart chakra is where our internal flame flickers with the day to day events of our lives in rhythm with the earth. Sometimes our heart’s beat light, sometimes strong or heavy, but it is constant.
“When you touch the celestial in your heart you will realize that the beauty of your soul is so pure, so vast and so devastating that you have no option but to merge with it. You have no option but to feel the rhythm of the universe in the rhythm of your heart.” – Amit Ray
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
When our actions are filtered through our heart chakra we are in joy, compassion, and kindness. When our actions are connected to a balanced heart chakra and are in line with the other chakras, then we are at our most courageous. Think of the lion in the Wizard of Oz searching for courage through finding his heart or that sweet fluffy Brave Heart Care Bear. No matter if we are down and out, our hearts will keep us carrying on.
Experts say love is the opposite of fear. The importance of this in our day to day lives lies in the results of our actions.
If we are acting out of fear, then we don’t necessarily get results that serve our greater good. When we act out of love and in loving ways; for ourselves, our children, our partner, in our jobs, even when completing chores, then we create an environment that feels safe while keeping our integrity. For example; when dealing with stressful situations we can choose to react passively or we can choose to respond with honesty and curiosity; and, reacting out of fear may be a quick fix to a bigger problem.
- Matters of the Heart Chakra
- Blocks in the Heart Chakra
- Healing the Heart Through Acts of Self Love
- Essential Oils to Heal the Heart Chakra
- Open Your Heart With Essential Oils
- Top Essential Oils for Your Heart Chakra
- Essential Oil Blends to heal the Heart Chakra
- Everything is Love
Matters of the Heart Chakra
Matters of the heart chakra are not just about loving and being loved, it can mean finding the courage to stand up for what you believe in. This can mean having to disagree with someone and work through that disagreement in loving ways versus giving in to fear by avoiding the issue or worse, creating a larger problem through reacting in toxic ways.
I believe this a common problem for many in our culture when we are told to always be polite, when dealing with people in power positions and when we do not have the emotional intelligence due to an oppressive upbringing to explain our feelings with integrity and confidence.
Your chakra system, when in alignment, is designed to tell you when something is wrong – it’s a survival tool and the heart chakra gives you access to ways of dealing with difficult situations.
If you do not have access to this information due to blocks or imbalances, then you may end up more complacent than you would like and not living up to your true potential. If you do not have the skills to respond openly and with curiosity to these situations in loving ways (compassion, empathy and acceptance versus blaming, or being defensive) then you may never learn from others, make positive changes in your life or feel a sense of connection to the people in your life and the environment around you.
“When our heart energy is opened and balanced, we can see clearly and position ourselves in any situation, no matter how challenging it is, with discernment and compassion.” – Lizzy, Editor of Chakra Magazine and www.chakra.info.com
Blocks in the Heart Chakra
“It’s impossible,” said pride.
“Its risky,” said experience.
“It’s pointless,” said reason.
“Give it a try,” whispered the heart.
~ Author Unknown
What creates a block in the heart chakra? An article published on www.chakras.info/heart-chakra-pain, titled What is Heart Chakra Pain, describes, it “results from life experiences that have a strong emotional charge, physical ailments, or significant changes in your environment.”
According to the article, signs of an imbalanced heart chakra include:
- Reacting defensively
- Being closed off to others
- Fear of intimacy
- Excess isolation, reclusiveness, and antisocial behaviour
- Holding grudges, not being able to forgive
- Co-dependency – (Codependency is insidious because it looks like love. It shows up in relationships as a feeling of connection where one person is getting their needs met through an unhealthy imbalance of accountability within the relationship. It can lead to unhealthy relationship behaviours that negatively affect the energies of the people involved – for example; taking on more than they should to keep the relationship, discrediting the feelings of the other, giving out of fear, and/or using anger and violence to get what they want.)
Experts say love comes from three main sources; self-love, love from others and divine love – this is our ultimate place of connection. Denying yourself or others will create a huge block in your heart chakra, resulting in an inability to grow and move forward to accessing your highest potential in your life.
The article states, “Finding the lesson in a painful experience and releasing the grievance has tremendous healing effects. Self love/self respect are key to heart chakra healing.”
Healing the Heart Through Acts of Self Love
A wise woman once told me to intentionally do five good things for myself each day. Self-loving acts can include cooking for yourself, meditating, doing yoga, and using crystals and essential oils. There are special ways you can do these things to intentionally heal your heart chakra.
- The colors pink and green are associated with the fourth chakra. Eating green foods, berries or drinking green tea can help support heart chakra balancing.
- Using crystals, like jade peridot, rose quartz and emerald in meditation can be helpful while chanting the mantra “I love”.
- Yoga, specifically poses like sphinx, fish, camel and cat poses can be used to open the heart chakra.
Essential Oils to Heal the Heart Chakra
Essential oils bring a balance to the heart chakra by connecting you to the fragrances and frequencies of earth. Each oil carries a vibration, just like we carry a vibration within us. Heavy, low feelings tend to create heavy, low vibrations, just as light, high feelings tend to create higher vibrations.
This pertains to food as well as essential oils. It is a scientific way to measure our body’s reaction to our surroundings and substances. It explains why something might make us feel good and not so good. For example; canned and processed food does not have a frequency while the human brain has a frequency of 72 – 90 MHz. Essential oils have frequencies from 52 – 320 MHz, while the human body operates at frequencies between 62 – 68 MHz. Using colors, sounds, foods and smells can help align our frequencies and bring a good sense of well being to our body.
The benefits of the use of essential oils to heal the heart chakra and other chakras and ailments can be measured through frequency reaction. Higley writes, the frequency within the human body fluctuates as different substances are introduced. For example; in one of the studies an individual held a cup of coffee and his frequency dropped from 66 MHz to 58 MHz in 3 seconds. After removing the coffee and using aromatherapy with essential oils, his frequency returned to 66 MHz – it took 21 seconds for the essential oils to work. When not using essential oils, it took 3 days for his frequency to return to 66 MHz.
Frequency is an interesting way to measure our senses, emotions and overall well-being. It is an intelligence that can help you understand when to use essential oils or connect to changes that might need to be made in your life to raise your vibration and bring your chakras, including your heart chakra – the pulsing centre of your chakra system – to balance.
Open Your Heart With Essential Oils
As soon as I reach for my box of essential oils to support my well-being, my spirits are instantly uplifted. With this action I am instantly connecting to my heart chakra in act and effort of self-love. There are many options of essential oils to choose from to help support your heart chakra, bring healing and remove blocks.
Here are some of the most popular essential oils for your heart chakra:
Top Essential Oils for Your Heart Chakra
There’s a lot to love about Lavender Essential Oil. It smells amazing; has multiple uses, and it’s powerful. It is a universal essential oil for the chakra system, recommended as a go to essential oil to support mental, physical and spiritual wellness. Lavender Essential oil is recommended to bring balance to the heart chakra by many experts and I must admit it’s my top go-to essential oil in my kit.
To use Lavender Essential oil for your heart chakra and bring harmony, balance and support your chakra system:
- Place 5 – 10 drops in a diffuser and/or wear 1 – 2 drops in an essential oil necklace diffuser.
- Wear 1 – 2 drops topically. The most absorbent area of the body is your feet. Behind your ear and neck is a great way to access the smell of the oils. Lavender Essential Oil is gentle enough that you can get away with using it without a carrier oil, but if you want your oils to last longer, then I recommend using a carrier oil of your choice.
- Create your own lavender essential oil bath bomb by following the recipe below.
Bergamot Essential Oil is the top recommended essential oil in Connie and Alan Higley’s Quick Reference Guide for Using Essential Oils. It is produced from cells inside the rind of the bergamot orange fruit.
Top Bergamot Essential Oil Facts according to Wikipedia
- Common in perfumes and fragrances dating as far back as 1714
- The rinds of 100 bergamot oranges yield about 3 ounces (85 grams) of bergamot oil
- It is used to flavour foods and is commonly known for its use in Earl Gray Tea and Budweiser Beer.
- It contains a significant amount of bergapten, a phototoxic substance that makes it necessary to use caution when using Bergamot Essential Oil topically.
According to Wikipedia the, “International Fragrance Association (IFRA) restricts the use of bergamot essential oil due to its phototoxic effects. Specifically, IFRA recommends that leave-on skin products be limited to 0.4% bergamot oil, which is more restrictive than any other Citrus-based essential oil.”
Bergamot Essential Oil is one of my go-to oils when I am feeling disheartened. I tend to drink tea containing the flavour of it and use it in my diffuser. Due to recommendations from our experts I do not recommend using it topically, unless you plan to avoid the sun. Keep Bergamot Essential Oil close to your heart chakra by wearing it in a necklace diffuser.
Rose Essential Oil is one of the most popular essential oils for the heart chakra system. Nothing inspires feelings of love, romance and beauty quite like the rose. The expression, “stopping to smell the roses” reminds us that our loving connection to the nature around us instantly connects us in loving ways to ourselves and that is the most important first step to connecting in loving ways to others.
Diffusing Rose Essential Oil will bring feelings of peace to your heart chakra. Using it on your skin brings a youthful glow and supports the healing of blemishes and fine lines. Use Rose Essential Oil while meditating, practicing yoga or in the bath by adding a few drops with a carrier oil or in a bath bomb. (See recipe below.)
Neroli Essential Oil is fantastic for healing the heart chakra. Derived from the blossoms of the orange tree, Neroli Essential Oil has a light floral aroma and has many effective uses. Some facts about Neroli Essential Oil according to an article on its many health benefits found on www.organicfacts.com, include:
- Relieves chronic depression
- Serves as an aphrodisiac
- Prevents infection
- Kills bacteria
- Promotes digestion and increases appetite
- Great for skin care and deodorizes
Neroli Essential Oil can be used to support the balance and healing of your heart chakra by wearing topically to absorb through the skin; as aromatherapy in a diffuser; it can also be used with caution in a tonic.
Melissa Essential Oil is also known as lemon balm. I have grown this sweet, minty/lemony herb in my garden, and I find it unique and powerful as an essential oil.
As an essential oil for balancing the heart chakra it serves many purposes. Since stress can cause hypertension and disrupt our circulatory system, which is directly rated to your heart and heart chakra, any essential oil, including Melissa Essential Oil can help reduce the effects of stress by calming the nervous system.
Use in a diffuser; with caution in a recipe and/or wear topically to enjoy the benefits of this essential oil for your heart chakra and for your skin.
Essential Oil Blends to heal the Heart Chakra
Rocky Mountain Oils, Plant Therapy and Young Living Essential Oils offer essential oil blends for the heart chakra.
- Rocky Mountain Oils offers a Heart Chakra essential oil blend consisting of Geranium, Copaiba, Lime, Spearmint, and Rose essential oils. It also comes with a rose quartz rollerball to further enhance the energetic properties. This essential oil can be purchased on its own or as part of the Rocky Mountain Chakra Kit.
- Plant Therapy sells a fabulous heart chakra blend called Loving Compassion. It has the oils of Pink Grapefruit, Rhodondonderon, Bergamot, and Rose Otto. It is available as a synergy blend or in a roller bottle. There is also a full chakra set available here.
- Young Living Essential Oils recommend its Harmony essential oil blend to use for balancing the heart chakra. The Harmony blend consists of Geranium, Angelica, Bergamot, Lavender, Black Spruce, Ylang Ylang, Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood, Hyssop, Palmarosa, Spanish Sage, Rose, Frankincense, Jasmine, Lemon, Orange, Roman Chamomile, Coriander.
Self Love Bath Bomb Recipe
Making a bath bomb is easy and it’s a great way to be creative with your essential oils.
- Baking Soda
- Epsom Salt
- Cornstarch or Tapioca Starch
- Coconut Oil
- Dried Flower Pedals (optional)
- Essential Oils (your choice)
- Bowls and measuring cups for mixing
- Bath Bomb Molds (Can be chocolate making trays, muffin tins, or anything else that you can place your wet ingredients in to dry.)
- 1 cup baking soda
- ½ cup citric acid
- ½ cup Epson Salt
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon water
- 5 – 10 drops your favorite essential oil
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of dried flower pedals
Mix and place in bath bomb mold to dry.
NOTE: the coconut oil will harden, so you must work it into your ingredients before it does.
Everything is Love
Let your heart guide your actions with courage and mindfulness. Exercise your self love with essential oils for your heart chakra. If you find yourself speeding up in anxiousness, that is your moment to pause and reflect. While there are a few essential oils recommended in this article (some of them costly), please note there are others you can try as well: cinnamon, pepper, oregano, sage, and frankincense to name a few.
Like any other activity we do in our day to day lives, when it comes to choosing the essential oils that feel right for you, tap into that centre space and you can’t go wrong.
Bye for now!