Chakras are energy centers throughout our body. In total, we have 7 main energy chakras that we can tap into for self-awareness, love, and healing. The fourth chakra is the Heart Chakra, and there are some great essential oils that you can use to bring balance to it.
Experts say love is the opposite of fear. The importance of this in our day to day lives lies in the results of our actions.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
When our actions are filtered through our heart chakra we are in joy, compassion, and kindness.
Blocks in the Heart Chakra
Your chakra system, when in alignment, is designed to tell you when something is wrong. It’s a survival tool and gives you access to ways of dealing with difficult situations.
“It’s impossible,” said pride.
“Its risky,” said experience.
“It’s pointless,” said reason.
“Give it a try,” whispered the heart.
~ Author Unknown
Blocks in the heart chakra result from life experiences that have a strong emotional charge, physical ailments, or significant changes in your environment ¹.
Finding the lesson in a painful experience and releasing the grievance has tremendous healing effects. Self love and self respect are key to heart chakra healing.
Healing the Heart Through Acts of Self Love
Experts say love comes from three main sources. Self-love, love from others and divine love – this is our ultimate place of connection. Denying yourself or others will create a huge block in your heart chakra. This can result in an inability to grow and move forward to accessing your highest potential in life.
A wise woman once told me to intentionally do five good things for myself each day. Self-loving acts can include cooking for yourself, meditating, doing yoga, and using crystals and essential oils. There are special ways you can do these things to intentionally heal this energy center.
Essential Oils to Heal the Heart Chakra
As soon as I reach for my box of essential oils to support my well-being, my spirits are instantly uplifted. With this action I am instantly connecting to my heart chakra in act and effort of self-love. There are many options of essential oils to choose from to help support your energy work, bring along healing and remove blocks. Here are some of the best ones:
There’s a lot to love about Lavender essential oil. It smells amazing; has multiple uses, and it’s powerful. It is a universal oil for the chakra system, recommended by many experts as THE go-to oil to support mental, physical and spiritual wellness. I must admit it’s the top go-to essential oil in my kit.
To use Lavender Essential and bring harmony, balance and support to your chakra system:
- Place 5 – 10 drops in a diffuser and/or wear 1 – 2 drops in an aromatherapy necklace diffuser.
- Wear 1 – 2 drops topically. The most absorbent area of the body is your feet. Behind your ear and neck is a great way to access the smell of the oils. Lavender essential oils are gentle enough that you can get away with using it without a carrier oil. But if you want your oils to last longer, I recommend using a carrier oil of your choice.
- Create your own lavender bath by adding 2-3 drops to the hot water.
Bergamot is the top recommended essential oil in Connie and Alan Higley’s Quick Reference Guide for Using Essential Oils. It is produced from cells inside the rind of the bergamot orange fruit.
Top Bergamot facts according to Wikipedia:
- Common in perfumes and fragrances dating as far back as 1714.
- The rinds of 100 bergamot oranges yield about 3 ounces (85 grams) of bergamot oil.
- It is used to flavor foods and is commonly known for its use in Earl Gray Tea and Budweiser Beer.
- It contains a significant amount of bergapten, a phototoxic substance that makes it necessary to use caution when using topically.
Bergamot Essential Oil is one of my go-to oils when I am feeling disheartened. I tend to drink tea containing the flavour of it and use it in my diffuser. Due to recommendations from our experts I do not recommend using it topically, unless you plan to avoid the sun. Keep Bergamot Essential Oil close to your heart chakra by wearing it in a necklace diffuser.
Rose Essential Oil is one of the most popular essential oils for the heart chakra system. Nothing inspires feelings of love, romance and beauty quite like the rose. The expression, “stopping to smell the roses” reminds us that our loving connection to the nature around us instantly connects us in loving ways to ourselves and that is the most important first step to connecting in loving ways to others.
Diffusing Rose Essential Oil will bring feelings of peace to your heart. Using it on your skin brings a youthful glow and supports the healing of blemishes and fine lines. Use Rose Essential Oil while meditating, practicing yoga or in the bath by adding a few drops with a carrier oil or in a bath bomb.
Neroli Essential Oil is fantastic for healing the heart chakra. Derived from the blossoms of the orange tree, Neroli Essential Oil has a light floral aroma and has many effective uses. Some facts about Neroli Essential Oil according to an article on its many health benefits found on www.organicfacts.com, include:
- Relieves chronic depression
- Serves as an aphrodisiac
- Prevents infection
- Kills bacteria
- Promotes digestion and increases appetite
- Great for skin care and deodorizes
Neroli Essential Oil can be used to support the balance of your heart chakra by wearing it topically to absorb through the skin, as aromatherapy in a diffuser, or it can also be used with caution in a tonic.
Melissa Essential Oil is also known as lemon balm. I have grown this sweet, minty/lemony herb in my garden, and I find it unique and powerful as an essential oil.
Since stress can cause hypertension and disrupt our circulatory system, which is directly related to your heart chakra, Melissa oil can help reduce the effects of stress by calming the nervous system.
Use in a diffuser; with caution in a recipe and/or wear topically to enjoy the healing properties of this aromatherapy oil.
Chakra Oil Blends
Rocky Mountain Oils, Plant Therapy and Young Living Essential Oils offer essential oil blends for the heart chakra.
- Rocky Mountain Oils offers a Heart Chakra essential oil blend consisting of Geranium, Copaiba, Lime, Spearmint, and Rose essential oils. It also comes with a rose quartz rollerball to further enhance the energetic properties. This essential oil can be purchased on its own or as part of the Rocky Mountain Chakra Kit.
- Plant Therapy sells a fabulous heart chakra blend called Loving Compassion. It has the oils of Pink Grapefruit, Rhodondonderon, Bergamot, and Rose Otto. It is available as a synergy blend or in a roller bottle. There is also a full chakra set available here.
- Young Living Essential Oils recommend its Harmony essential oil blend to use for balancing the heart chakra. The Harmony blend consists of Geranium, Angelica, Bergamot, Lavender, Black Spruce, Ylang Ylang, Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood, Hyssop, Palmarosa, Spanish Sage, Rose, Frankincense, Jasmine, Lemon, Orange, Roman Chamomile, Coriander.
Let your heart guide your actions with courage and mindfulness. Exercise your self love with essential oils for your heart chakra. If you find yourself speeding up in anxiousness, that is your moment to pause and reflect.
Like any other activity we do in our day to day lives, when it comes to choosing the essential oils that feel right for you, tap into that centre space and you can’t go wrong.
¹ www.chakras.info: What Is Heart Chakra Pain?