If you have kids in the house, you probably have some idea the number of things you have to make sure to be on top of. From making sure they’re eating properly, sleeping properly, doing well in school, have a good dose of physical activity, are in good health… there is so much to do, and such little time to do it all!
It is only reasonable to want some help with things. Phew! What would be better than having a completely, 100% natural helping hand to count on? Essential oils can be that resource for you! Oils can really make a difference in your day-to-day school schedule for both your kids and yourself.
If you are a parent who is interested in learning more about what essential oils can do for your kids, this article is for you! Below are a few options to include aromatherapy for children in your day to day routines. I’ll show you how can you use essential oils to take care of some of the most common problems that children face at school.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Essential Oils for Kids in School
Let’s look at some common issues faced by school-going children:
- Falling sick frequently (low immunity)
- Low-level of concentration
- Poor sleeping habits
- Scratches and bruises (from all that running around)
- Pesky insect bites
All of these concerns can be taken care of by using essential oils. However, it is critical that you don’t just use any essential oil, rather beware of the special child-specific aromatherapy considerations and choose your oils appropriately.
Why Child-Specific Essential Oils?
Regular strength essential oils and essential oil dilutions are too strong for use on kids. Think about it: for children aged 2-10 years, their bodies are about half the size and weight of ours, at a maximum. Of course any home remedies adults use would be too strong for them. That’s why there are such things as children’s Advil, children’s Nyquil, and many other children specific medications.
Certain essential oils are not recommended for kids whatsoever. That’s why popular essential oil brands like Rocky Mountain Oils, Plant Therapy, or Edens Garden have formulated kid-safe essential oil lines that are:
- Not using any oils that kids can’t tolerate, and
- Are mixed in such ratios to be effective on kids, but not overwhelm their systems.
1. If your school-going child falls sick frequently…
Kids are more vulnerable to diseases because of their immune systems. As compared to adults, their immunity system is not that strong and therefore, cannot fight off germs, bacteria etc. as well as that of an adult’s.
No matter how hard you try, you cannot keep your child in a germ-free environment all the time! So you need to shift gears.
The way to tackle this problem is by providing a boost to the immune system by feeding your child more nutritious food i.e. doubling up on the healthy and organic stuff! However, most kids are finicky eaters so this may bring several parents back to square one: can’t really strengthen the immune system through diet!
Why not use a blend of essential oils for kids that may give their immune system the boost it needs without any side effects whatsoever!
- Rocky Mountain Oil’s Immunity blend. The Frankincense carterii constituent which the blend contains is known to work wonders for the immunity system. A little application of this blend before going to school is an excellent idea.
- Plant Therapy’s Immune Boom. This blend also includes Frankincense carterii, along with Lemon, Palmarosa, Dill, and others. Opting for the organic version assures you’re using a top quality essential oils product for your little one.
- Edens Garden’s Sniffles & Sneezes Synergy Blend. This blend does not include Frankincense carterii, instead it is formulated around Cedarwood, Sweet Orange, Lavender and more. Use it (diluted, of course!) for a soothing chest rub to aid those little lungs and sinuses. If you like the Sniffles & Sneezes blend, here is also a fantastic recipe to make DIY bear balm.
2. If your school-going child struggles with concentration…
Having low-levels of concentration means trouble at school whilst not being able to pay attention to what’s being taught in the class as well as trouble at home when it is time to sit down for homework!
There may be several reasons why your child reports low-levels of concentration and instead of worrying about it why not turn to an essential oil for help? Make applying this essential oil blend a part of your child’s pre-homework routine.
- Rocky Mountain Oil’s Concentrate blend. The Vetiver constituent helps improves concentration and makes it a lot easier for your kid to focus.
- Plant Therapy’s A+ Attention Roll-on. Train your child to use his or her Plant Therapy A+ Attention roll-on during recess or lunch break, to help with the next class if they know that something a bit more challenging is coming up. Teaching youngsters to recognize when they need help, and taking action to help themselves, is indeed a valuable life skill.
- Edens Gardens’ Focus Focus Focus™ Roll-on. With a fantastic blend of uplifting Grapefruit, grounding Cedarwood and more, your kid is sure to love this blend as it not only smells amazing, but definitely includes a choice of essential oils that are great to support more focus.
3. If your school-going child has poor sleeping habits…
If your kids’ daytime behavior and school performance is suffering, consider if he or she is getting enough sleep. A common problem that school-going kids routinely face is that they don’t actually get enough sleep. While you may have a look at their routine to fix this problem, you may also consider using essential oils that help promote sleep.
- Rocky Mountain Oil’s Counting Sheep blend. The Lavender constituents which the blend contains help reduce the stress or tension that may be making it difficult for the child to sleep.
- Plant Therapy’s Nighty Night. This soothing, tranquil, relaxing and balancing night time blend creates a peaceful, sleep-inducing atmosphere. This blend is also included in the KidSafe Blends Kit (6 Synergies), which is a great starter kit at superb value. Get it here.
- Edens Gardens’ Sleepy Head synergy. It’s super calming blend also includes Lavender and many more essential oils that help promote your little night owl to fall asleep gently. Start the diffuser in your kids’ bedroom about 30 minutes prior to closing-eyes-time, and you’ll have the best set-up for a smooth transition from awake time to sleepy time.
4. If your school-going child plays a lot, falls down a lot…
Children are known for running around and playing games. In fact, your child may very well be a part of the school soccer team!
Physical activity is as important for your child as other things in life are. So they are likely to get a light bruise here a tiny scratch there. Using an essential oil to help ease any pain or discomfort that the scratch may bring with it is a very good idea.
- Rocky Mountain Oil’s Ouchie blend. The blend contains constituents of Lavender, Helichrysum italicum and Foraha and they collectively provide almost-instant relief from the pain.
- Plant Therapy’s Sore No More™ blend. If you have active children, aid their recovery with a gentle essential oils massage using this beautiful blend of 8 different essential oils including Palmarosa, Citronella, and Geranium Egyptian.
- Edens Garden’s Ouch Ease™ blend. Perfect for when little accidents do happen and your kid comes home with some scrapes from the playground slide. Its soothing blend includes both Roman and German Chamomile, both of which are fantastic oils for restoring a skin abrasion.
5. If your child gets frequent insect bites…
Let’s face it: you cannot completely eliminate mosquitoes and other bugs that might be roaming about. So it is likely that your child does get a bite or sting which obviously is going to hurt. Essential oils can help you with this too. They work as great repellants which will keep those bugs away from them.
- Rocky Mountain Oil’s Bug Away blend. The Citronella constituent works as a powerful insect repellant. If you are interested in getting an insect repellent for the entire family, Rocky Mountain Oil’s Bug Off blend roll-on may be worth looking into.
- Plant Therapy’s Itch Away kid safe blend. Perfect for when a nasty mosquito bite did happen, to help sooth the skin and “doctor away” the irritation and swelling.
- Edens Garden’s Shoo Fly Roll-on. Since you can’t always have eyes at the back of your head and watch for insects attacking your little pre-schooler, dab a few drops of Shoo Fly roll-on behind their ears to help naturally repel insects while they’re tirelessly playing outside in the woods.
Why Roller Bottles?
Roll-on bottles are the simplest, most easy way to apply essential oils topically. They are pre-diluted mixtures that are blended a safe concentration for kids. Usually, essential oil roll-ons use Fractionated Coconut Oil (FCO) as the carrier oil of choice.
These essential oil brands’ kids lines come in a choice of regular, fully concentrated essential oil blend – or roller-ball applicator. In the roll-on, blends are already diluted so all you have to do is to just apply them and notice the amazing differences they make in your school-going child’s life. If you prefer to use the oils in aromatherapy massage or a diffuser, the bottles of undiluted essential oil will be your better choice.
If you prefer to diffuse essential oils around your child, make sure to pick a smaller sized essential oil diffuser and place it on your child’s night table, dresser or desk.
NOTE: If your child is allergic to nuts such as peanuts, almond, sesame, etc., please make sure that the roll-on you use is made with a carrier oil he or she can safely tolerate.
If you like to make your own roller bottles, here’s a handy tutorial to do just that!
If you’ve been wanting to use essential oils to support the youngest member of your family, I suggest you check out the fantastic kids’ lines by Rocky Mountain Oils, Plant Therapy, and Edens Garden. Their online shops respectively feature several amazing essential oil blends and they have separate kids lines for the younger members of your family.
In fact, if you do have school-going children at home, I recommend getting the Rocky Mountain Oils Kids Daily Kit which features 4 different essential oil blends that help with immunity, concentration, achy muscles and sleep. Just one kit to knock 4 commonly faced problems by school-going children straight off the bat!
The roll-on bottle format is perfect for kids to apply mess-free: just open the cap, and roll the blend on a few key spots on your body, such as on the temples of your head, on the insides of your wrists, or to the bottom of your feet. The application depends a bit on your child’s preference, and also the ailment you’re trying to help with.
If you are interested in buying a specific essential oil blend on its own, without having to necessarily buy the rest of the kit, Rocky Mountain Oils gives you that option too.
Which essential oils do you like to use with your kids’ school time routine? Let us know in the comments below!