If you have kids in the house, you probably have some idea the number of things you have to make sure to be on top of. From making sure they’re eating properly, sleeping properly, doing well in school, have a good dose of physical activity, are in good health…so much to do!
And such little time to do it all!
It is only reasonable to want some help with things. Phew! What would be better than having a completely, 100% natural helping hand to count on? Essential Oils are that resource for you. Essential oils can really make a difference in your day-to-day school schedule for both your kids and yourself. Here is how.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Essential Oils Coming to the Rescue
Adults have long been using essential oils for various purposes. Now I will tell you how you can use them to take care of some of the most common problems that children face at school. As a parent, use essential oils made specifically for kids, which means you won’t have to worry about anything since they are completely safe and custom formulated for the youngsters.
But first, let’s look at what some common issues faced by school-going children are:
- Falling sick frequently (low immunity)
- Low-level of concentration
- Poor sleeping habits
- Scratches and bruises from all that running around
- Pesky insect bites
All of the above mentioned concerns that your school-going child goes through can be taken care of via essential oils. As a parent who is interested in learning more about what essential oils can do for their kids, below are a few options.
But to start, let me introduce you to 3 fantastic essential oil starter kits for kids.
Rocky Mountain Oils Kids Daily Essential Oils Kit
The Rocky Mountain Oils’ Kids Line is especially formulated for children aged 2+ and sold in handy roll-on bottles. This means that the essential oils will be pre-diluted to safe rates so you don’t have to worry about applying too much or too little.
The RMO Kids essential oils are stored in a roller application bottle for super easy use. Roll-ons make a fantastic “quick fix” first aid helper for any mom purse when on-the-go! I always have a roll-on or two stashed away for sure!
Read on below on how the roll-ons included in this kit can help the most common ailments for school aged children.
Plant Therapy KidSafe Essential Oils Line
Plant Therapy’s KidSafe® line of essential oils is a bit more comprehensive than Rocky Mountain Oils’. Same as RMO, Plant Therapy also offers pre-diluted roll-ons, but additionally they also sell single KidSafe® essential ois, KidSafe® essential oil blends, plus KidSafe® ORGANIC essential oil blends. If your pre-schooler already has a diffuser in his or her bedroom, these oils are the perfect back to school motivational gift to encourage better focus for homework, help support a sniffly nose, or combat feelings of classroom anxiety.
The Plant Therapy KidSafe line is rated safe for children aged 2+.
Edens Garden OK for Kids Essential Oils
The essential oils brand Edens Garden offers a kid-safe line of essential oils titled OK FOR KIDS™. Formulated by the team of Sylla Sheppard-Hanger (aromatherapist) and Dr. Robert Pappas (essential oil chemist), blends are made to support children AND their parents with the most common ailments during school going months.
The OK For Kids collection is safe to be used on kids and adults 2+. They can be used on children younger than two, however it is recommended to work with your child’s pediatrician and preferably an aromatherapist as well who can analyze your child’s medical intake, and provide safe and effective guidelines that meet your child’s specific needs. The younger the child, the more sensitive they are to essential oils, so for this reason, special special precautions are recommended with kids younger than 2.
The Ok for Kids line includes essential oil roll-ons, essential oil blends, and essential oil kits. No single “Ok for Kids” oils are sold, only Plant Therapy does that.
Combined with ultra-fun graphic labels and packaging, Edens Gardens’ essential oils for kids are sure to be a back to school hit.
Using Essential Oils for Kids
The really cool thing about these essential oil brands’ kids lines is that the blends come in a choice of regular, fully concentrated essential oil blend – or roller-ball applicator, which makes for super easy use of the product. In the roll-on, blends are already diluted so all you have to do is to just apply them and notice the amazing differences they make in your school-going child’s life. If you prefer to use the oils in aromatherapy massage or a diffuser, the bottles of undiluted essential oil will be your better choice.
If you prefer to diffuse essential oils around your child, make sure to pick a smaller sized essential oil diffuser and place it on your child’s night table, dresser or desk. Now without further due, here’s what to do to help your children make the most of their days at school:
1. If your school-going child falls sick frequently…
Kids are more vulnerable to diseases because of their immune systems. As compared to adults, their immunity system is not that strong and therefore, cannot fight off germs, bacteria etc. as well as that of an adult’s.
No matter how hard you try, you cannot keep your child in a germ-free environment all the time! So you need to shift gears.
The way to tackle this problem is by providing a boost to the immune system by feeding your child more nutritious food i.e. doubling up on the healthy and organic stuff! However, most kids are finicky eaters so this may bring several parents back to square one: can’t really strengthen the immune system through diet!
Why not use a blend of essential oils for kids that may give their immune system the boost it needs without any side effects whatsoever!
Essential Oil Solutions:
- Rocky Mountain Oil’s Immunity blend. The Frankincense carterii constituent which the blend contains is known to work wonders for the immunity system. A little application of this blend before going to school is an excellent idea.
- Plant Therapy’s Immune Boom. This blend also includes Frankincense carterii, along with Lemon, Palmarosa, Dill, and others. Opting for the organic version assures you’re using a top quality essential oils product for your little one.
- Edens Garden’s Sniffles & Sneezes Synergy Blend. This blend does not include Frankincense carterii, instead it is formulated around Cedarwood, Sweet Orange, Lavender and more. Use it (diluted, of course!) for a soothing chest rub to aid those little lungs and sinuses. If you like the Sniffles & Sneezes blend, here is also a fantastic recipe to make DIY bear balm.
2. If your school-going child struggles with concentration…
Having low-levels of concentration means trouble at school whilst not being able to pay attention to what’s being taught in the class as well as trouble at home when it is time to sit down for homework!
There may be several reasons why your child reports low-levels of concentration and instead of worrying about it why not turn to an essential oil for help? Make applying this essential oil blend a part of your child’s pre-homework routine.
Essential Oil Solutions:
- Rocky Mountain Oil’s Concentrate blend. The Vetiver constituent helps improves concentration and makes it a lot easier for your kid to focus.
- Plant Therapy’s A+ Attention Roll-on. Train your child to use his or her Plant Therapy A+ Attention roll-on during recess or lunch break, to help with the next class if they know that something a bit more challenging is coming up. Teaching youngsters to recognize when they need help, and taking action to help themselves, is indeed a valuable life skill.
- Edens Gardens’ Focus Focus Focus™ Roll-on. With a fantastic blend of uplifting Grapefruit, grounding Cedarwood and more, your kid is sure to love this blend as it not only smells amazing, but definitely includes a choice of essential oils that are great to support more focus.
3. If your school-going child has poor sleeping habits…
If your kids’ daytime behavior and school performance is suffering, consider if he or she is getting enough sleep. A common problem that school-going kids routinely face is that they don’t actually get enough sleep. While you may have a look at their routine to fix this problem, you may also consider using essential oils that help promote sleep.
Essential Oil Solutions:
- Rocky Mountain Oil’s Counting Sheep blend. The Lavender constituents which the blend contains help reduce the stress or tension that may be making it difficult for the child to sleep.
- Plant Therapy’s Nighty Night. This soothing, tranquil, relaxing and balancing night time blend creates a peaceful, sleep-inducing atmosphere. This blend is also included in the KidSafe Blends Kit (6 Synergies), which is a great starter kit at superb value. Get it here.
- Edens Gardens’ Sleepy Head synergy. It’s super calming blend also includes Lavender and many more essential oils that help promote your little night owl to fall asleep gently. Start the diffuser in your kids’ bedroom about 30 minutes prior to closing-eyes-time, and you’ll have the best set-up for a smooth transition from awake time to sleepy time.
4. If your school-going child plays a lot, falls down a lot…
Children are known for running around and playing games. In fact, your child may very well be a part of the school soccer team!
Physical activity is as important for your child as other things in life are. So they are likely to get a light bruise here a tiny scratch there. Using an essential oil to help ease any pain or discomfort that the scratch may bring with it is a very good idea.
Essential Oil Solutions:
- Rocky Mountain Oil’s Ouchie blend. The blend contains constituents of Lavender, Helichrysum italicum and Foraha and they collectively provide almost-instant relief from the pain.
- Plant Therapy’s Sore No More™ blend. If you have active children, aid their recovery with a gentle essential oils massage using this beautiful blend of 8 different essential oils including Palmarosa, Citronella, and Geranium Egyptian.
- Edens Garden’s Ouch Ease™ blend. Perfect for when little accidents do happen and your kid comes home with some scrapes from the playground slide. Its soothing blend includes both Roman and German Chamomile, both of which are fantastic oils for restoring a skin abrasion.
5. If your child complains of getting insect bites…
Let’s face it: you cannot completely eliminate mosquitoes and other bugs that might be roaming about. So it is likely that your child does get a bite or sting which obviously is going to hurt. Essential oils can help you with this too. They work as great repellants which will keep those bugs away from them.
Essential Oil Solutions:
- Rocky Mountain Oil’s Bug Away blend. The Citronella constituent works as a powerful insect repellant. If you are interested in getting an insect repellent for the entire family, Rocky Mountain Oil’s Bug Off blend roll-on may be worth looking into.
- Plant Therapy’s Itch Away kid safe blend. Perfect for when a nasty mosquito bite did happen, to help sooth the skin and “doctor away” the irritation and swelling.
- Edens Garden’s Shoo Fly Roll-on. Since you can’t always have eyes at the back of your head and watch for insects attacking your little pre-schooler, dab a few drops of Shoo Fly roll-on behind their ears to help naturally repel insects while they’re tirelessly playing outside in the woods.
If you’ve been wanting to use essential oils to support the youngest member of your family, I suggest you check out the fantastic kids’ lines by Rocky Mountain Oils, Plant Therapy, and Edens Garden. Their online shops respectively feature several amazing essential oil blends and they have separate kids lines for the younger members of your family.
In fact, if you do have school-going children at home, I recommend getting the Rocky Mountain Oils Kids Daily Kit which features 4 different essential oil blends that help with immunity, concentration, achy muscles and sleep. Just one kit to knock 4 commonly faced problems by school-going children straight off the bat!
The roll-on bottle format is perfect for kids to apply mess-free: just open the cap, and roll the blend on a few key spots on your body, such as on the temples of your head, on the insides of your wrists, or to the bottom of your feet. The application depends a bit on your child’s preference, and also the ailment you’re trying to help with.
If you are interested in buying a specific essential oil blend on its own, without having to necessarily buy the rest of the kit, Rocky Mountain Oils gives you that option too.
Which essential oils do you like to use with your kids’ school time routine? Let us know in the comments below!