Each woman experiences PMS in her own, unique way. The following essential oils and oil blends are supportive of relieving PMS symptoms. I recommend you try blending them, and work towards creating your own unique PMS blend. As every woman is beautifully unique, so is her experience of PMS symptoms and pains.
Before a woman’s menstrual cycle, premenstrual syndrome (PMS) happens. Every month, this sickness comes with various symptoms. Mood swings, irritability, cramps, breasts tenderness, fatigue, bloating, and food cravings are some of the most common effects.
PMS disrupts your daily routines making you uncomfortable throughout the day. Pain killers, heating pads, and other palliative medications can soothe the discomfort. But, they still leave you with various side effects due to their chemical compositions (1).
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Organic substances like essential oils are a beautiful and effective remedy for PMS. The fragrances have therapeutic effects that can soothe pains and energize the body (2). They are useful for making skincare products, cosmetics, and aromatherapy home remedies such as essential oil baths.
- Top 7 Single Essential Oils to Alleviate PMS Symptoms
- Essential Oil Blends for PMS
- PMS Blend DIY Recipes
- Final Thoughts
Top 7 Single Essential Oils to Alleviate PMS Symptoms
Some of the best essential oils for PMS include:
1. Clary Sage Essential Oil
Clary Sage leaves and flowers are processed by steam distillation to make the essential oil. The botanical name is Salvia sclarea. It is a perennial or biennial plant containing linalool and linalyl acetate.
Clary Sage oil has anti-inflammatory properties capable of soothing premenstrual syndrome. In the medieval period, it was also used for skin rejuvenation and soothing skin conditions.
How to Use it:
- Massage 1 tbsp of carrier oil mixed with 3-6 drops of Clary Sage onto your abdomen during your premenstrual cramps.
- Enjoy a comforting sleep by applying this essential oil to your pillow in a DIY room spray: fill a 2 oz spray bottle, 3/4 of the way with distilled water, top up the rest with witch hazel. Add up to 36 drops of essential oil.
- You can also diffuse about four drops using a diffuser.
2. Sweet Marjoram Essential Oil
Marjoram essential oil is useful for alleviating symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) as it is naturally high in antioxidants. It also helps to relax blood vessels, reduce blood pressure and open blood flow (3).
How to Use it:
- Apply Rosemary oil through inhalation, diffusion, warm compresses, or adding to the bathwater.
- Another way of using rosemary oil is by using an oil burner. Place a tea-light candle in the burner, light it, and the fire will diffuse the aroma of rosemary oil around you.
- It is advisable to carry out a patch test and to dilute the oil before topical application. This approach will help to avoid adverse reactions on your skin.
3. Valerian Root Essential Oil
Valerian root essential oil is extracted from the roots of the plant. The botanical name is Valeriana officinalis. Other names include cat grass, common valerian, Baldrian, Belgium valerian, Amantilla, and Baldrianwurzel.
Valerian originated from Europe and Asia. Extracts from the root are useful for the treatment of PMS (4). Valerian helps to alleviate both physical and emotional symptoms of premenstrual syndrome in women.
How to Use it:
- Calm the pains associated with PMS by inhaling two drops of Valerian essential oil. You can use a personal inhaler to make it more effective.
- Create a Valerian diffuser blend: Add five drops of blood orange, two drops of Buddha wood, and two drops of Vetiver oil to Valerian oil. Blend the oils before adding to your diffuser.
- Put three drops of Valerian oil into a bowl of warm water and soak your feet for twenty minutes or more. You can also add a tablespoon of Epsom salts and/or a tablespoon of carrier oil to your Valerian to make the foot soak more soothing.
It is known as ‘a heal-all herb’. Valerian is useful for treating insomnia, anxiety, stress, dysmenorrhea, and symptoms of menopause. Other sicknesses include tremors, fatigue, epilepsy, convulsions, ADHD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder).
4. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil has analgesic properties. It is capable of reducing discomforts and cramps caused by premenstrual syndrome. Combine lavender and chamomile oils for handling psychological and physiological symptoms of PMS. Applying this blend will end pains, headaches, and soothes the body.
How to Use it:
- Put 6 drops of Lavender essential oil in a diffuser. Diffuse in your room every night before bedtime. Combine it with 2-3 drops of Frankincense oil for a more calming and relaxing experience.
5. Peppermint Essential Oil
Handle your premenstrual disorders with Peppermint essential oil. Address the upset stomach, nausea, and restlessness of PMS using fresh and minty peppermint oil.
How to Use it:
- Dilute Peppermint oil with a carrier oil before using it topically. Massage 1 tbsp of carrier oil and 9-10 drops of this minty oil onto the backside of your neck.
- You can also diffuse six to eight drops of peppermint essential oil in your room. This will enhance relief from symptoms of PMS.
6. Black Pepper Essential Oil
End cramps and other unbearable feelings of PMS by using black pepper essential oil. This therapeutic oil is steam-distilled from the buds of peppercorn. Black pepper oil has the characteristic effect of enhancing the circulation of blood. It also warms up your body cells and maintains your hormones.
How to Use it:
- Apply black pepper essential oil after blending with a choice carrier oil such as Fractionated Coconut Oil. Massage into your abdomen, thighs, hips, and lower back. The mixture will provide relief from pains, muscle cramps, and general aches and discomforts.
7. Geranium Essential Oil
Premenstrual syndrome comes with hormonal imbalance or changes. Most women experience skin or facial distortions during this period, such as acne breakouts. Geranium essential oil helps in balancing your skin and improving your facial appearance. It has properties that can beautify your skin.
How to Use it:
- Get your regular face moisturizer and add two drops of Geranium essential oil. Apply this mixture on your face twice daily for better results.
Essential Oil Blends for PMS
- Gal Pal: ($11.95) A ladies only blend, Gal Pal synergy blend from Edens Garden Essential Oils is the balancing solution to your hormonal and menstrual woes. It also has a radical cooling and soothing quality that can help rescue you from flashes of heat. Toss Gal Pal in your purse or keep it nearby for moments of lady-time distress. Your period will be easier because of it! Its floral and herbal aroma will help guide you to relaxation and composure. Get It Here
- PMS Ease: ($8.95) Also from Edens Garden. Not only does PMS Ease actually help relieve cramping, nausea, hot flashes and moodiness, its aroma is floral and fruity in the most lovely way. PMS Ease is a soothing blend of Lavender, Clary Sage, Ylang Ylang, Copaiba, Palmarosa, Cedarwood, Fennel, Bergamot, Carrot Seed, Chamomile, Geranium, Ginger and Patchouli. Get It Here
What’s the Difference? Both “Gal Pal” and “PMS Ease” synergy blends are intended to obstruct symptoms of PMS, so which one do you pick? The main difference between the two are the oils each blend contains. Gal Pal includes Vitex essential oil, whereas PMS Ease does not. According to a study in which 23 women participated, Vitex significantly reduced PMS and menopausal symptoms (5), and more studies continue to be released about the benefits of women using Vitex. So personally, I would say get the Gal Pal to start.
- Balance: ($14.95) This essential oil blend from Plant Therapy was created specifically to help women feel more emotionally balanced, especially during the mentally turbulent time around the menstrual cycle. It contains Palmarosa, Lavender, Petitgrain, Clary Sage, Geranium Bourbon, Ylang Ylang Complete, Neroli, and much-loved Rose and Jasmine Absolute. Get It Here
- Ladies’ Choice: ($15.99) This blend from Simply Earth gives you a powerful weapon against monthly discomfort. It’s a blend of 4 oils, and all of those 4 oils are on our list of best oils for PMS: Clary Sage, Marjoram, Geranium, and Lavender. Sounds like a masterpiece, right? If you’re tired of PMS disrupting your week, get this blend here.
NOTE: The May 2020 subscription box from Simply Earth includes the ladies’ choice blend, plus 3 other oils, 6 recipes, and DIY accessories for only $39. You also get huge sign-up perks with my code EOHAVENFREE. Check it out here.
PMS Blend DIY Recipes
If you have an empty roll-on bottle at home, you can quickly and easily make your own essential oil roller. The following blends are calculated at a 5% dilution rate in a 10 mL roller bottle; or use as a 10 mL sized massage blend.
- 5 drops Clary Sage
- 5 drops Ylang-Ylang
- 5 drops Lavender
- 6 drops Clary Sage
- 3 drops Geranium
- 2 drops Sweet Marjoram
- 4 drops Peppermint
- 7 drops Lavender
- 3 drops Black Pepper
- 5 drops Palmarosa
The aim with essential oils for PMS is to find or create a blend that is uniquely successful for YOU. Ultimately, you want and need your period to be less painful and stressful. It’s impossible to say which exact essential oil will help. Whether that means you blend your own using the recommended essential oils here, or purchase a ready-made PMS blend, that doesn’t matter. As long as you enjoy natural relief from PMS symptoms using the power of essential oils, all is well!
To your well-being,
(1) 8 Essential Oils for PMS That’ll Make That Time Of The Month A Total Breeze
(2) These Essential Oils Help Make PMS Less of A Pain
(3) What is Sweet Marjoram Essential Oil used for?
(4) The effect of Valerian root extract on the severity of premenstrual syndrome symptoms
(5) Vitex: Which Benefits Are Backed by Science?