Whatever the reason for excitement in your life may be… do you want to find the best calming essential oils? Do you need some extra relaxation? You can use safe and effective homemade remedies to calm your nerves and emotions. Essential oils are nontoxic extracts from plants. They are suitable for soothing emotional tension and promoting calmness.
Essential oils have been used for thousands of years for various health issues: physical symptoms (such as headaches or sore muscles), mental wellness, spiritual practice or emotional balance. They naturally support human well-being on many levels.
In this article, you will learn about the most calming essential oils. I’ll also provide you with 5 recipes on how to put your new-found knowledge into practice.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
- Best Calming Essential Oils
- 5 Calming Essential Oil Recipes
- Easy Ways to Use Your Oils
- Final Thoughts
Best Calming Essential Oils
Anytime you’re shopping for essential oils, it is important to buy from a reputable essential oil company. You can only expect a good outcome of your efforts if you purchase a quality oil. To help you get started, here are the best starter kits you can buy on Amazon.
The following essential oils best support calming and peaceful emotions.
Frankincense essential oil has calming properties that promote relaxation, ease stress, and reduce anxiety. According to Jan Stritzler, a yoga instructor at Complete Wellness in NYC, “Frankincense oil stimulates the limbic region of the brain, helping to overcome stress and uplift our spirits” ¹.
The wonderful scent of lavender essential oil supports calm emotions and emotional balance. Patients suffering from insomnia can enjoy the therapeutic essences of the oil ². Lavender also helps to relieve migraines and feelings of depression.
According to a publication in the International Journal of Psychiatry in Clinical Practice, lavender enhances comfortable sleep, reduces symptoms of depression, and calms anxiety ³. Dr Milosavljevic said, “Lavender has a well-studied impact on the autonomic nervous system, which is why it serves as a natural treatment for insomnia that goes back generations”.
Chamomile essential oil has a nice and fruity-herbal fragrance. Steam distillation extracts the essence of the plant flowers. The National Cancer Institute conducted research through massage therapy using Roman chamomile oil 4. The study concluded that patients experienced reduced anxiety and less symptoms of depression.
Are you a hypertensive patient? Ylang Ylang essential oil has mild sedative features and can reduce high blood pressure. You can promote your emotional well-being by using this natural oil. It uplifts your mood and calms the emotions.
Melissa is commonly called “Lemon Balm”. It has uplifting and medicinal properties. Boost your immunity and strengthen your nervous system with this calming essential oil. Melissa can help reduce feelings of sadness, worrying, and depression. It soothes your mind and acts as an antidepressant.
Apply onto the body through massage to enhance relaxation. You can also use it through a warm bath to relieve anxiety and stress.
Clary sage has an earthy fragrance. It acts as an antidepressant and can calm anxiety and depression 5. The oil promotes inner peace and feelings of well-being. You can reduce symptoms of premenstrual syndrome in ladies by using clary sage oil. It is effective in balancing hormones.
If you want to balance hormones, apply it onto your pulse points or to the feet. You can use in a hot bath by blending with some drops of chamomile essential oil.
Bergamot Essential Oil
Bergamot oil contains mood-enhancing properties. It promotes feelings of joy and excitement. Bergamot essential oil is a natural remedy that has been effective in Chinese traditional medicine for balancing hormones. It is made using the peel of aromatic citrus fruits. You can maintain proper digestive health, boost energy, and inhibit bacterial infections with this oil.
5 Calming Essential Oil Recipes
The effectiveness of aromatherapy oils depends on the blend you use. If you want to enjoy the benefits of calming essential oils, you need to apply good recipes. Here are some effective recipes you can use to reduce anxiety:
1. Calming Panic Attacks and Anxiety
This recipe could be applied as a neck rub. It is useful for relieving anxiety, panic attacks, and general body pains. You can also massage it onto the bottom of your feet. The recipe includes:
- 1 teaspoon almond oil or fractionated coconut oil
- 3 drops Lavender
2. Proper Rest and Relaxation
Enjoy peace of mind, rest, and relaxation by using this recipe. It contains powerful fragrances that can invigorate you and restore peace of mind. You can apply the blend using a diffuser or rollerball. The recipe includes:
- 1 drops Ylang-Ylang
- 2 drops Clary sage
- 1 drop Patchouli
- 2 drops Geranium
3. Feelings of Anxiety and Worry
Calm and soothe the triggers of anxiety with this earthy and woody blend of oils. Inhaling the fragrance of this recipe will relax your nerves and support your health. The recipe includes:
- 1 drop Ylang-Ylang
- 2 drops Sweet Orange
- 1 drop Patchouli
- 2 drops Cedarwood
4. Waking Up Smartly and Energetically
Fatigue and anxiety work hand-in-hand. This condition makes most persons unable to wake up smartly and energetically. Maintain alertness and energy by enjoying the essences of citrus fruits. Blending citrus and peppermint can energize and boost your alertness in the morning. This recipe can be applied by mixing with water into a room spray or body mist, or using a diffuser. Essential oils for this recipe include:
- 3 drops Lemon or Sweet Orange
- 3 drops Peppermint
5. Boosting Mental Focus
Improve your mental focus with these oils. You can reduce anxious feelings, stress, and painful muscles by using this recipe. The blend contains stimulating and energizing fragrances. These essential oils can help maintain your concentration and focus. It aids the limbic system to relieve anxiety and tension while stimulating the mind and body. This recipe includes:
- 1 drop Bergamot
- 2 drops Rosemary
- 2 drops Peppermint
Easy Ways to Use Your Oils
Here’s how you can enjoy aromatherapy benefits without much fuss:
- Combine your calming essential oil blend with your regular body lotion or bath salts for that extra punch.
- Add some drops of oils onto a cotton round and place in your bedding, pillows, fabrics, cushions, or other furniture.
- Blend a calming bunch of oils directly in your diffuser, and use it around your home.
Essential oils are toxic substances and should not be ingested at any time.
Here are ways of safely using essential oils to get effective results:
- Dilute essential oils before application on the body with a carrier oil such as coconut oil, sweet almond oil, or grape seed oil. This helps you avoid undesirable skin reactions.
- Do a patch test on part of your body before using it on the body. There could be allergic reactions or irritations to the skin. Stop use immediately if you have a reaction.
- Follow the instructions on the bottle labels before using. Some oils are not recommended for children, when pregnant, or for other reasons. Please read the fine print.
- Don’t shower for 20 minutes after massaging the oil into your skin. This lets the oil absorb and yield best results.
Human well-being is a complex topic. There are so many aspects to feeling good, balanced, calm and at peace.
Aromatherapy and essential oils are a holistic support to our well-being. I hope you enjoyed this introduction to calming essential oils. Let us all know how our recipes are working out for you?
- 7 Essential Oils that Calm Anxiety (And How They Do It) https://www.rd.com/health/wellness/essential-oils-for-anxiety/
- Top 5 Essential Oils for Better Sleep https://www.essentialoilhaven.com/best-essential-oils-for-insomnia/
- An orally administered Lavandula oil preparation (Silexan) for anxiety disorder and related conditions: an evidence-based review: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/13651501.2013.813555
- Aromatherapy With Essential Oils (PDQ®)-Patient Version https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/patient/aromatherapy-pdq?redirect=true
- 23 of The Best Essential Oil Recipes for Anxiety https://bettermindbodysoul.com/essential-oil-recipes-for-anxiety/