Are you feeling stressed? Do you need some extra relaxation? Whatever the reason for stress and tension in your life may be, these calming essential oils and relaxing essential oil blends can help.
Essential oils are nontoxic extracts from plants. They are suitable for calming emotional tension and promoting relaxation. You can use essential oils as safe home remedies to calm your nerves and emotions.
Essential oils have been used for thousands of years for various health issues. They can aid physical symptoms such as headaches or sore muscles. Certain oils also support mental wellness, spiritual practice or emotional balance. The oils naturally support human well-being on many levels.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
In this article, you will learn about the most calming essential oils, and get tips for the best relaxing essential oil blend recipes.
- Best Calming Essential Oils – Singles
- Calming Essential Oil Blends
- Calming Essential Oil Recipes
- Easy Ways to Use Your Oils for Relaxing
- Final Thoughts
Best Calming Essential Oils – Singles
The following essential oils best support relaxation and peaceful emotions.
Frankincense essential oil has calming properties that promote relaxation, ease stress, and reduce anxiety. It is often used in spiritual practices such as meditation, prayer and yoga.
Lavender enhances comfortable sleep, reduces symptoms of depression, and calms anxiety. The wonderful scent of lavender essential oil supports emotional balance. People suffering from insomnia can also enjoy the therapeutic essences of the oil for improving sleep.
Chamomile essential oil has a nice and fruity-herbal fragrance. It promotes sleep, relaxation, and anxiety relief. Its use dates back centuries into ancient Greece, Egypt, and Rome.
4. Ylang Ylang
Ylang Ylang essential oil has mild sedative features and can strengthen your nervous system. You can promote your emotional well-being by using this natural oil. It can uplift your mood and calm difficult emotions.
Melissa is commonly called “Lemon Balm”. It has uplifting and medicinal properties. Boost your immunity and strengthen your nervous system with this calming essential oil. Melissa can help reduce feelings of sadness, worrying, and depression. It soothes your mind and acts as an antidepressant.
6. Clary Sage
Clary sage has an earthy fragrance. The oil promotes hormonal balance, inner peace and feelings of well-being. You can reduce both the emotional and physical symptoms of premenstrual syndrome in ladies by using Clary sage oil.
7. Bergamot Essential Oil
Bergamot oil contains mood-enhancing properties. It promotes feelings of joy and excitement and can reduce stress and anxiety. Using this aromatherapy oil can even help relieve feelings and symptoms of depression. Bergamot essential oil is a natural remedy that has been effective in Chinese traditional medicine for ages.
Calming Essential Oil Blends
REVIVE’s Joy essential oil blend bring a joyful, uplifting aroma to your room. It is a blend of Bergamot peel, Lemon peel, Tangerine peel oil, Ylang Ylang flower, Coriander seed, Palmarosa herb, Geranium leaf, Jasmine flower extract, Roman Chamomile flower, Rose flower essential oils.
9. Stress Relief
Edens Garden essential oils offers a wonderful oil blend for relaxation, named Stress Relief. The blend contains Sweet Orange (Citrus sinensis), Bergamot (Citrus bergamia), Patchouli (Pogostemon cablin), Grapefruit (Citrus paradisi), and Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata) essential oils.
10. Peace & Calming
Young Living’s Peace & Calming is a popular essential oil blend with a sweet, calming aroma. It is a proprietary blend of Blue Tansy, Orange, Tangerine, Patchouli, and Ylang Ylang essential oils.
I always have good success finding reasonable prices for YL oils on Amazon. Against popular belief, it is totally fine to buy Young Living essential oils on Amazon. Many independent distributors would prefer you shop through them, so they can make a commission. But there are reputable sellers who simply use Amazon as a vehicle to distribute their totally legitimate oils.
Calming Essential Oil Recipes
Do you have an extensive oil library at home? If you prefer to create your own blends, here are some tried & tested, wonderfully relaxing essential oil blend recipes.
11. Calming the Panic
This recipe is useful for relieving anxiety, panic attacks, and general body pains that come with stress and tension.
- 3 drops Lavender
- 2 drops Frankincense
- 2 drops Melissa
12. Rest and Relaxation
Enjoy peace of mind, rest, and relaxation by using this recipe. It contains powerful fragrances that can invigorate you and restore peace of mind.
- 1 drops Ylang-Ylang
- 2 drops Clary sage
- 1 drop Patchouli
- 2 drops Geranium
13. Worry Free
Calm and soothe the triggers of anxiety with this earthy and woody blend of oils. Inhaling the fragrance of this recipe will relax your nerves and support your health.
- 2 drops Chamomile
- 1 drop Frankincense
- 3 drops Bergamot
14. Deep Breath
Enojy the aroma of this relaxing essential oil recipe with a deep breath! Its compounds help ground your central nervous system.
- 2 drops Ylang Ylang
- 4 drops Bergamot
15. Citrus Delight
Fatigue and anxiety work hand-in-hand. Blending citrus oils can energize and boost your alertness. Improved motivation and positivity can help you feel de-stressed and relaxed.
- 3 drops Lemon
- 2 drops Grapefruit
- 3 drops Bergamot
Easy Ways to Use Your Oils for Relaxing
Here’s how you can enjoy relaxing aromatherapy benefits without much fuss:
- Combine your calming essential oil blend with your regular body lotion or bath salts for that extra punch.
- Apply as a neck rub or massage it onto the bottom of your feet. Combine 1 teaspoon almond oil or fractionated coconut oil with 6 drops of essential oils.
- Add some drops of oils onto a cotton round and place in your bedding, pillows, fabrics, cushions, or other furniture.
- Blend a calming bunch of oils directly in your diffuser, and use it around your home.
- Mixing your oil blend with water into a room spray or body mist.
- You can apply relaxing essential oil blends using a DIY rollerball.
- Apply onto the body through massage to enhance relaxation. You can also use it through a warm bath to relieve anxiety and stress.
Essential oils are toxic substances and should not be ingested at any time.
Here are ways of safely using essential oils to get effective results:
- Dilute essential oils before application on the body with a carrier oil such as coconut oil, sweet almond oil, or grape seed oil. This helps you avoid undesirable skin reactions.
- Do a patch test on part of your body. There could be allergic reactions or irritations to the skin. Stop use immediately if you have a reaction.
- Follow the instructions on the bottle labels befor. Some oils are not recommended for children, when pregnant, or for other reasons. Please read the fine print.
- Don’t shower for 20 minutes after massaging the oil into your skin. This lets the oil absorb and yield best results.
- Apply it onto your pulse points or to the feet. You can use in a hot bath by blending with some drops of chamomile essential oil.
I hope you enjoyed this introduction to calming essential oils. Human well-being is a complex topic. We all feel stressed and unable to perform sometimes. There are many aspects to feeling good, balanced, calm and at peace. Aromatherapy and essential oils are just one small holistic support to our well-being.
Anytime you’re shopping for essential oils, it is important to buy from a reputable essential oil company. You can only expect a good outcome of your efforts if you purchase a quality oil. To help you get started, here are the best starter kits you can buy on Amazon.