(5 / 5)
Plant Therapy Essential Oils is an amazing, refreshing, unique brand of oils. They sell a really high quality product at an affordable price. Let me tell you more about Plant Therapy Essential Oils in the following review.
What’s the Best Thing about Plant Therapy Oils?
- Great Quality: The oils I’ve tested smelled pure, strong, and authentic. They didn’t smell chemical or fake – and I’ve tested and smell-tested a variety of oil brands by now. I always smell-test favorites such as lavender and lemongrass, so I can actually personally speak to the differences and directly cross-compare my personal assessment of quality.
- Solid Third-Party Product Testing: Even apart from my personal opinion on Plant Therapy’s oil quality, the company strictly evaluates the oils and sends them to third-party testing facilities. Read more about their Quality Assurance below.
- Great Product Line-Up: You’ll be able to find almost any oil or product or accessory to help you get started with essential oils at Plant Therapy, including Certified Organic Oils, diffusers, storage cases, products for men, blends, roll-ons, and body lotions.
- KidSafe® Line: This series of oils and kits is designed and developed with a variety of kid-specific issues in mind, and using a selection of oils safe for the little ones. Read more below.
- Customer Rewards Program: You can earn customer loyalty rewards points by shopping with Plant Therapy. No monthly minimum spending is required, and you can redeem your points as soon as you have 500 of them. More details below.
A Brief Company History
Plant Therapy was founded in 2011 with a mission to provide quality, affordable essential oils. A few years earlier than this, in 2009, President Chris Jones bought a small natural beauty products company from his mother-in-law, an aromatherapist. While sourcing essential oils in the marketplace, Jones saw a need for high-quality essential oils that would be attainable to the customer at an affordable price – and that became part of the company’s core.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
“Our ultimate goal is not to be the largest essential oil company; it is to positively impact the lives of as many people as humanly possible. Ultimately, we feel this is possible only by providing our customers with an exceptional experience that keeps them coming back. By selling such a high quality product at an affordable price, we not only positively affect the lives of our customers, it also gives us the financial means by which we can help those who are less fortunate to live a happier, healthier, and more productive life.” – Chris Jones, President of Plant Therapy Inc.
In line with this idea, Plant Therapy also has a program to give back both locally and worldwide.
Plant Therapy Quality Assurance
All oils sold by Plant Therapy are 100% pure and of the highest quality. The have undergone some of the strictest quality assurances and testing in the industry. As a main point of quality assurance, world renowned essential oil expert Robert Tisserand, along with several analytical laboratories, are part of the Plant Therapy team.
- Sourcing: Essential oils are made from various parts of plants or fruits. This could be seeds, stems, roots, flowers, bark, leaves, or other parts of a plant. Before obtaining a raw material from a certain farmer or supplier, Plant Therapy ensures the supplier’s background, reputation, commitment to quality and commitment to the industry is met to satisfaction. Then, typically 3-5 samples will be tested from different suppliers, for each oil. This ensures a pre-selection of quality ingredients before even going to distill or produce the oil. For every essential oil that’ll end up in the bottle in your medicine cabinet, quality sourcing is where it begins.
- Distillation: Same as the sourcing selection process, Plant Therapy works with committed, established distillers that can repeatedly guarantee quality and purity in the distilled essential oils they deliver.
- Testing: As a first step, Plant Therapy essential oils are organoleptically tested by Robert Tisserand. Robert has been evaluating essential oils professionally for over 40 years. Organoleptic testing means smelling the oil from a testing strip over time – some characteristics do not reveal themselves until the oil has been evaporating for 30 minutes or more. It also includes evaluating the color, consistency and general appearance of an oil, and comparing it to what a good quality oil should look and smell like.Next, the essential oils are sent to one of several third-party laboratories where they undergo multiple tests including GC/MC testing (Gas Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry).
Check Out Test Results Online!
Every bottle of oil that you purchase from Plant Therapy will have a specific batch code, indicating the exact batch of oil that’s in your bottle. This batch information is directly linked to the testing reports for each batch of oil. These test reports are fully public – you can see them by going to the essential oil’s product page and clicking on Test Reports. Plant Therapy not only offers these third party GCMS reports, but all of the GCMS reports are signed by the chemist to ensure that no editing was done on these reports. That way, if you really wanted to (as a customer), you could follow up and verify the GCMS reports. It’s not a secret which chemist did the testing – it’s all fully transparent.
I think this last point of full transparency and having results available online (not hidden!), speaks incredibly highly of Plant Therapy’s essential oil quality and commitment to educating us as the customers and helping us make the best choice of how we want to approach our personal health and well-being through aromatherapy.
Are Plant Therapy Essential Oils “Therapeutic Grade”?
The answer would be “no” – but I put “no” in brackets so please read on, the following is eye-opening information:
Since there is no organization that oversees the quality of essential oils, ‘Therapeutic Grade’ is simply a marketing term that Plant Therapy many years ago decided not to use. Any company can say their oils are therapeutic grade. Many new essential oil companies came into the market a couple of years ago and threw around this term.
Many people fell for it and assumed their oils were pure because they stated they were “Therapeutic Grade”. It was at this time that Plant Therapy decided they would educate their customers on this term instead of using it to define the quality of oils sold. Some companies use other therapeutic grade terms, or other grading or certifying terms, for internal quality standards. However, these terms are often trademarked by the company and do not apply consistently from one brand to another.
When looking for the highest quality oils, don’t look for terms such as “Therapeutic Grade”, since any company can use this term at their own discretion. There is no actual third party grading or certifying of essential oils, so it is best to look for a company that ensures the quality of their oils based on third party test results and experts.
About Plant Therapy Internal Use Of Oil
In a blog post dated January 14, 2014, Retha Nesmith (Certified Armoatherapist and CMO of Plant Therapy), wrote an amazingly smart and in-depth article about the safe use of essential oils. I love that this article was written in 2014, showcasing industry leadership and care for their customers to know all there is to know about using essential oils safely.
“The FDA plays no part in the grading or safety uses of essential oils. […] This is why Plant Therapy’s official stance is to not ingest essential oils unless under the supervision of a medical doctor or an aromatherapy practitioner. It is not that we don’t recommend ingesting essential oils, it is just that there is so much information that needs to be taken into consideration before ingesting essential oils. There can be a time and place for oral use of essential oils but you need to make sure you are educated on the whole parts of essential oils. That is where Plant Therapy wants to help. We want to help our customers become educated in everything they need to know about essential oils so that they can make the best-educated decision for themselves and their family.”
Read the original of this amazingly informative piece here: www.planttherapy.com/blog/
KidSafe by Plant Therapy
In Summer 2014, Plant Therapy launched a first-ever KidSafe line of essential oils – oils that have been developed especially for children aged 2-10. That’s wonderful news if you’ve been hesitant about what to use with (or around) your little one. The KidSafe line is designed to help with a variety of kid-specific issues and ailments – things that occur very commonly in this age range – such as stuffy noses, calming down and rough, red skin. All the oil blends have fun, easy-going, child-friendly names, such as “Germ Destroyer“, “Ear Ease” or “Sneezy Stop“. And let me tell you – kids just LOVE to have products that are made and labeled “just for them”. Introducing our kid to essential oils with this line just became a whole lot more magic for everyone involved.
The KidSafe products are available as 100% pure, undiluted essential oils, or also as pre-diluted roll-ons for even easier use with your munshkins.
Good to know though: KidSafe synergies are just as effective for adults as they are for kids. They are full-strength essential oils – just made with a selection of oil ingredients that are safe for the kiddos. This means that the synergies will not include any oil that could potentially cause any issues in the youngsters. For example, Peppermint could potentially cause breathing issues in kids, Thyme essential oil could possibly irritate their still-so-sensitive skin, and Ylang Ylang also could act as a potential skin allergen. So those oils are simply nowhere to be found in the KidSafe line of essential oils for children. A very reassuring thought!
Experts at Work
Plant Therapy’s KidSafe line has been designed and overseen by internationally regarded aromatherapy expert Robert Tisserand, who has decades of experience in the industry. An unparalleled amount of research, testing and quality assurance has gone into developing and creating this unique line of essential oils for kids. No other product on the market today really compares.
Plant Therapy offers a comprehensive line of essential oil products and accessories. You can get single oils, synergy oil blends, carrier oils or roll-on bottles. For further body care, you can also get hydrosols (often used in creating body products, room sprays and linen mists), carrier oils, lotions, creams, aloe jellies, or products for men.
For available sets or kits, there are gift sets, gift certificates, and the KidSafe sets.
Last but not least, accessories include essential oil diffusers, carrying cases, jewelry, books, your own essential oil storage bottles and packaging (if you like to make your own blends), and a few accessories such as a Himalayan Salt Inhaler or fragrance test strips.
At time of writing, the current product line-up includes:
- 125 Single Oils, including 33 USDA Certified Organic oils, for example an organic Peppermint
- 47 Synergy Oil Blends such as Meditation or Sleep-Aid
- 32 Roll-Ons like Soft Skin Synergy or Zit-Fighter Synergy
- 43 Sets like the Wellness Set or the Organic Sampler Set
- 24 Diffusers, 20 Carrier Oils, and many more Body Care products and accessories
With such a vast selection of products, chances are good that you’ll be able to find what you’re looking for within the Plant Therapy essential oil brand. And you can shop with confidence!
Oil of the Month Club
If you’d like to put your aromatherapy learning on auto pilot, and also get exclusive oils nobody else has access to, consider trying the Plant Therapy Oil of the Month club. For a $15/month subscription you’ll receive a new oil every month, without having to place an order or do anything really! You can also order a one-off mystery oil at $20 for a single month, but once you subscribe to the club, you get 25% off, making the monthly cost only $15.
The oils you get as part of the club are always brand new oils that aren’t currently sold through the store. So you’ll receive exclusive oils only available to club members. Sometimes that’ll be a single oil, sometimes a synergy. Oil bottle sizes will range from 2.5 – 30 mL. These oils may be added to the Plant Therapy line-up in the longer term, but when YOU receive it as a club member, they’ll still be exclusive and not released to the whole online store.
How fun is that?!?
Try The AromaFuse 380ml Diffuser
One stand-out product I’ve came across and would like to tell you about is the Plant Therapy AromaFuse Diffuser. It features a modern, stylish design and best of all – it is really super easy to use! With a water tank size of 380mL it is a larger-sized model, which works well for business or home use that requires to cover larger areas (500+ square feet / 50 square meters) or longer run-times of up to 10 hours. It features five convenient timer settings that you can easily control with buttons at the front, and a 3-step dimmable LED light that also turns off.
The AromaFuse requires no chemicals or heat, allowing the essential oils to retain all of their natural benefits and chemical profile. The five timer settings include several options for both continuous and intermittent mist.
Customer Rewards Points Program
If you’d like to shop with Plant Therapy, you’ll be pleased to know that they also have a rewards program named PT PERQS, where customers can use their rewards like cash towards future Plant Therapy purchases.
You’ll need to be a registered customer of their website, but no monthly minimum purchases apply. Accrue points anytime you shop with Plant Therapy – and redeem them after your points balance reaches 500 points.
You can learn more about the customer rewards program here: https://www.planttherapy.com/ptperqs
A Quick Word On Wholesale
If you happen to own or run a retail store, you could carry Plant Therapy essential oils as a wholesaler. More information here.
Plant Therapy is a friendly, professional and high quality brand that I am able to highly recommend to you with 5/5 stars. The oils are fairly priced and absolutely deliver as expected. The accessories are well designed, stylish, and I’m proud to have them showing around my home and tell my friends and family about them when they stop over. Having the KidSafe Line-up offered is an absolute game changer for our family and helps me teach the little ones about how to safely enjoy essential oils no matter what age. They feel good, special, and valued all in their own world when they unpack an oil that is especially made for them.