Essential oils are a wonderful way to enjoy the fragrances from some of today’s most sought after extracts. Aromatherapy oils are genuine reflections of the botanical from which they’re derived from. When these natural extracts are diffused into the air of a room in your home, they can inspire, energize, soothe, and encourage wellness and peace of mind. Today, essential oils are primarily used in therapeutic settings to help achieve a positive mood and bring about relaxation.
The NOW Essential Oils Collection
The NOW Foods essential oils company is called NOW Solutions. I’ll be using the terms NOW Foods, NOW, and NOW Solutions interchangeably, so please don’t get confused – it’s all the same thing.
NOW not only makes essential oils. Related aromatherapy products include essential oil diffusers, essential oil blends, and a selection of organic oils.
As a company, they manufacture and distribute over 1,400 natural foods, dietary supplements, sports nutrition and personal care products in total.
When it comes to going for an essential oil company that offers the best value, no one beats the NOW Solutions combination of premium quality at affordable prices. They have built lasting relationships with their suppliers and vendors, and are able to purchase large quantities of raw materials at substantial discounts. This gets passed on to us customers in the form of everyday low prices.
A brief history
In 1948, entrepreneur Paul Richard purchased a small Chicago-based manufacturing company that made grain and legume-based products, marking the beginning of a six-decade family company legacy. NOW Foods is still a family-owned company today.
NOW Foods was founded on the belief that good health is not a luxury available only to the wealthy. This translates into NOW Foods manufacturing high-quality, affordable nutrition products. “A helping hand since 1968” can be found as a slogan on some of their literature.
NOW essential oils are produced with loving attention to detail from start to finish. The company insists on using the best raw botanicals available, process them with gentle extraction methods, and commit to producing industry-leading quality.
Since the process of extracting essential oils from their botanical origin is unquestionably one of the most important steps in the manufacturing and quality assurance process, NOW Foods uses only the best available practices:
With steam distillation, essential oils are converted into vapor and then condensed into liquid form where they can be bottled for your enjoyment. It is a popular, natural and precise way to gently extract essential oils while leaving behind any undesirable components.
Cold Press Extraction
Cold press extraction is another natural extraction method used primarily for citrus extracts, such as Orange, Lemon, Lime, Bergamot and Tangerine. It involves carefully applying a cold “press” to the botanical to extract the highest concentration of beneficial oils.
Botanicals that are too delicate or costly for distillation are often extracted efficiently using safe solvents such as ethanol. Examples of solvent-extracted oils include Rose and Jasmine.
CO2 Extraction is used to remove the oils or essence from the plant matter without using heat or leaving any solvent residue behind.
Poor extraction methods can compromise the potency, aroma and effectiveness of the resulting oil – making it imperative to pay attention to any essential oil brand’s process of manufacturing. NOW Foods clearly shows great care and stewardship for extracting the best essence of the essential oils you find in the bottles available for sale.
All NOW oils are pure, natural, highly concentrated and free of synthetic compounds. A selection of NOW Foods essential oils are classified as Certified Organic. Those oils are grown in soil that is free of pesticides, synthetic fertilizer and herbicidal residues. However, it is important to note that not all of their essential oils line-up is from organic botanicals – only the ones labeled as such. Still, all essential oils in their line-up are subject to the same internal testing process as the “Certified Organic” ones, they just don’tall qualify for displaying the label because they are not all sourced from certified organic ingredients.
Line-Up of Certified Organic Essential Oils
- Organic Citronella Oil – 1 oz
- Organic Eucalyptus Oil – 1 oz
- Organic Lemon Oil – 1 oz
- Organic Lavender Oil – 1 oz
- Organic Peppermint Oil – 1 oz
- Organic Orange Oil – 1 oz
- Organic Rose Hip Seed Oil – 1 oz
- Organic Rosemary Oil – 1 oz
- Organic Tea Tree Oil – 1 oz
Essential oils are only a good as their active components. NOW Foods uses their own team of quality control experts to conduct quality tests and ensure that each oil matches their standard. NOW’s team conducts a series of quality tests to ensure that each oil is of the highest possible quality.
All NOW Essential Oils are GC/FTIR verified, which is an aromatherapy industry-standard testing qualification. GC stands for Gas Chromatography and FTIR for Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy…. Not that these technical details really matter to the average user, but it’s good to know that this is not only a company-internal testing process labeled with some smart marketing name to confuse consumers. For example, doTerra also uses GC and FTIR testing to ensure the quality of their essential oils (read it on doTerra’s blog here).
Food Grade and Therapeutic Grade
One of the best and most honest things you can read about food grade and therapeutic grade essential oils can be found on NOW Food’s essential oils purity guide website, scroll to the very bottom and read the whole paragraph titled “Food Grade and Therapeutic Grade“. I promise it will be worth your time! In summary, it says that:
- “Therapeutic grade” cannot be chemically measured and is therefore just a marketing made up by the industry with no authoritative body or organization behind the term.
- Claiming an oil to be “Food grade” (i.e., edible) would require that brand to display a Nutrition Facts panel on their label as required by law. However, if you recognize the source of these oils as food (i.e. peppermint, oregano, cinnamon bark), then natural extraction methods such as steam distillation and cold pressing do nothing to change this quality, and these methods do not make the oil toxic.
- Oils that are not food grade will have the statement “Not for Internal Use” in the caution box on the label. If you have questions regarding the use of any NOW Solutions essential oil please contact their Certified Nutritionists by calling 888-669-3663 and choosing option 5 or by emailing email@example.com.
NOW oils distributes a fine selection or starter sets or gift kits, making it easy to dive into using essential oils without having to decide which single oils to order to begin with. Currently, there are three starter kit options available:
- Put Some Pep In Your Step: Uplifting essential oils. Includes 3 singles (Grapefruit, Orange, Lemon), and 1 blend (Cheer Up Buttercup), 10 mL each.
- Love At First Scent: Romantic essential oils kit. Includes 3 singles (Cinnamon Cassia, Rose Absolute, Bergamot), and 1 blend (Naturally Lovable), 10 mL each.
- Let There Be Peace and Quiet: Relaxing essential oils kit. Includes 3 singles (Lavender, Peppermint, Eucalyptus), and 1 blend (Peaceful Sleep), 10 mL each.
With any of these starter kit options you’ll be well on your way to enjoying essential oils.
I hope you’ve enjoyed my Now Foods Essential Oils Review. I do really feel comfortable recommending NOW essential oils to you. I like their thorough scientific testing and no-BS declaration of information. NOW oils are also attainable at a reasonable price, which I think is also a plus for their company.
What did you think of this review?
Put your thoughts in the comments box below!